Cassandra Pugh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your advice.  I currently write the files to a  hardware
> raided SAN over gig ethernet,  which is also mounted by ou webserver
> which displays the graphs.
iSCSI SAN, or NFS?

It may be better to have the RAID connected directly using fibre channel
or SCSI

> I tried exporting the tmp/ramfs to the the webserver, but RHEL 5
> doesn't seem to support this.

It is just a filesystem - you probably just need to check the
configuration carefully (gmetad.conf and conf.php) and review
/var/log/httpd/error.log for clues

> This is my data source line:
>
> data_source "Cluster" 60 localhost:8650
>

> grep ^RRA gmetad.conf  returns no results.
try

grep -i ^RRA gmetad.conf  returns no results.

if that gives nothing, then you have the default RRA settings.

> The iostat returns some iowaits up around 25 at first glance, but i
> would suppose i would have to match up the iowait when the gaps are
> occuring?
Yes, please do that

> Thanks again for you input, and I welcome any insight.

I would suggest studying the rrdtool man pages, particularly the one
that explains the RRA definition (man rrdcreate is a good start)