Anybody have some tips as to why gmond is converting my float metric
that starts out looking like this:

fe_nginx.http_req_time 1.133985

which was collected by adding this to my get_metric callback and
running gmond in debug mode:
      print >> sys.stderr, 'fe_nginx.http_req_time %00f' % v

...where the collector node shows these large integers:
<METRIC NAME="fe_nginx.http_req_time" VAL="1522851567" TYPE="float"
UNITS="ticks" TN="56" TMAX="30" DMAX="0" SLOPE="both">

here's the relevant descriptor info:

desc_template = {
        'call_back': self.get_metric,
        'time_max': self.collect_interval,
        'value_type': 'uint',
        'units': 'ticks',
        'slope': 'both',
        'format': '%u',
        'groups': metric_group
        }
descriptor = desc_template.copy()
descriptor['name'] = '%s.http_req_time' % component
descriptor['description'] = 'http request time to serve'
descriptor['value_type'] = 'float'
descriptor['format'] = '%u',
descriptors.append(descriptor)

...so to recap, gmond debug shows the collection going as expected
with, but after the collection of the metric and before gmetric
collects the xml from the collector, the value is changed into a large
integer.

also, what is format? the docs simply mention that the format field is
the format of the metric.