This is what's on the FAQ page, and I had read it at one point:

Sometimes graphs don't show up for hosts. I'm using unicast mode

In recent versions of gmond (3.1.x), a new global variable was added in
gmond.conf called 'send_metadata_interval', with a default setting of 0. 0
means that the gmond will send metadata when it starts, and no other time. If
you plan on using unicast mode, please set this variable to something higher.
15 seconds has been found to work reliably in most cases.

I suppose it just wasn't clear to me that changing the value of
send_metadata_interval would solve my problem.
I'll think about some way to add more clarity to that paragraph.