CPPFLAGS=-DREMOVE_BOGUS_SPIKES
had no effect in my installation.
We eventually found a patch in a non-ganglia forum somewhere, but I can't find it now.
It basically added input sanity checking.

The problem is a 32-bit counter on a 1 Gbps NIC can overflow in less than gmond's sampling interval.
When it overflows, ganglia treats the small negative number as a very large positive.
This is a known ganglia bug.  It's been around since 2003.  You just have to live with it, or try to fix it yourself.

-Cameron

Bostjan Skufca wrote:
That really seems to be the case. Speaking out of my head now but it seems that I only see this on HP DL3x0 with Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12) interfaces. I've found some threads...

Anyway, does this really work? There is something in code which eliminates 1e^13 and bigger or so it seems...
make CPPFLAGS=-DREMOVE_BOGUS_SPIKES

b.

On 29 March 2011 20:30, Vladimir Vuksan <vli...@veus.hr> wrote:

I see it all the time :-(. According to Bernard this is due to problem
with some of the Broadcom cards. Perhaps Bernard can offer more insight.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:23:31 +0200, Bostjan Skufca <bost...@a2o.si> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> occasionally I notice huge spikes in network graphs in ganglia
(petabytes
> per second or so). Not sure whether those are caused by gmond restarts
or
> network interface byte counter overflows or something else.
> Is someone else also seeing similar behaviour? Running latest ganglia
> (3.1.7).
>
> b.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.