Thanks for taking the time to help Vladimir! The only working line in my
gmetad.conf is:

data_source "compute" localhost:8649 f1:8649

everything else is default and commented out.

I took your suggestion and am now using a single channel, 8649, but the
behavior is the same. So then just in case i did something weird previously, i
recreated a new gmond.conf via "gmetad -t" on all hosts and my only change to
the new file was the "name". So with everything back to default the behavior
still exists. Everything is fine for ~6 minutes, then all the hosts drop off
except for the webserver's gmond.

What other troubleshooting steps can i take? Thanks in advance!