No, it does not.

Vladimir wrote up a nice tutorial on the wiki, but I don't remember whether
he covered the Java library for sending Ganglia metrics. The way I think of
the Ganglia architecture is as:

 * There are measurement *senders*. Gmond is one of them, but the Java
library for sending metrics is a different one, as is "gmetric". Every
sender has to be told where to send its measurements. "gmetric" is nice
enough to read /etc/ganglia/gmond.conf, but the Java library definitely
*isn't*; it has its own properties area.  I don't know whether that's been
extended over the years to handle multiple destinations; I presume it has
been since people run it in clouds that don't support multicast.
 * There are measurement *receivers*. gmond is the only one of these in the
Ganglia architecture. These are the daemons that get measurements.
 * There are measurement *aggregators*. An aggregator gets TCP requests for
whole boatloads of measurements, and returns them as XML. gmond is the main
one of these in Ganglia. OTOH, gmetad is also an aggregator, and is used
directly as one when you're doing grids of grids.
 * There are measurement *recorders*. Gmetad is the only one of htese in the
Ganglia architecture; it records measurements for posterity in RRDtool
files.
 * There are measurement-history presentation tools. gweb does this. It uses
gmetad to get the current aggregated grid-level measurements, and the
recorded RRDtool information to show the historical context.

In your case, your sender doesn't know about the other receivers and will
need to be configured via its own configuration technique.  It can be
confusing that gmond is a daemon with three roles (and gmetad one with two),
but that's the way it is.

Hope this helps --
-- ReC

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com