if using Unicast, and ganglia 3.1.0 or higher, you MUST set this value to
whatever value is the minimum you can tolerate (in seconds) for a restart
to recover itself automatically like 3.0 (and lower) used to be able to do.

this "feature" is documented at the bottom (the fifth bullet point under
"Important Notes") of the following (no longer maintained) page :

  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ganglia/wiki/ganglia_release_notes

Carlo