It should work on both the cases RPM and compiled from source code. Since you
have installed through RPM, make sure that supports python. If you are able to
find the file named modpython.conf under configuration directory of gmond then
it is possibly installed with python support.

Download the mongodb python module and place it as follows.
# Copy the mongodb.conf file to conf.d directory (possibly the place where you
find modpython.conf). Also check the modpython.conf file to look for the
include directive and accordingly change the name of mongodb.conf file.
# Look for the params variable which defines the location to put python
plugin in modpython.conf and paste the mongodb.py file to that location.

Note. You may also have to change the mongodb.py file to reflect to the mongo
binary and hostname. You mainly have to change below lines for mongo binary and
host/port.

'server_status' : '~/mongodb-osx-x86_64-1.8.1/bin/mongo --host
mongodb04.example.com --port 27018 --quiet --eval
"printjson(db.serverStatus())"',
    'rs_status':'~/mongodb-osx-x86_64-1.8.1/bin/mongo --host
mongodb04.example.com --port 27018 --quiet --eval "printjson(rs.status())"'

I f every thing goes as desired then restart the gmond service. If some thing
goes wrong run gmond in debug mode and see what is causing the issue.

Thanks,
Mozammil