Well things blew up ~184 hosts. The web interface shows a random number of
hosts down each refresh, although sometimes there are all up. It reports just
~1 second to download and process the XML: "Downloading and parsing ganglia's
XML tree took 0.9751s." So I don't think timeouts are the problem. A telnet to
8649 produces the XLM immediately. Could this be the point where I need start
using a RAM based partition or could it be something else. Is sflow so much
better I should consider using it? Would multiple gmond's, say one per rack,
and listing them all in gmetad be a solution? At this point I am not sure of
the next step and I really appreciate the help the list have given me so far.

>Hi Mark,
>
>I assume cnode340 is the head node that all ~340 other gmond's send their data
>to. If so, you could reduce >the amount of redundant metadata flying around by
>increasing "send_metadata_interval" to 120 seconds or
>higher.

That is correct, cnode340 is the head node for ganglia. I have increased the
"send metadata interval" to 120 seconds and have 100 nodes reporting at this
point and it seems pretty smooth. I am going to add the others ~50 at a time.

>Also, I suspect that if you telnet to port 8649 on your head node it will take
>a while to respond because >it's busy processing incoming UDP metrics. If it
>takes more than 10 seconds to respond on a regular basis >then gmetad will
>timeout [1].

So far, with the 100 I have the response is an instant dump of the XML.

>Try deploying a recently patched version of gmond [2] to the head node which
>is now multi-threaded and see >if that fixes the problem. It starts a separate
>thread for responding to XML metric requests and should >respond immediately
>while the main thread is still processing metrics.

I am running:

gmond 3.4.0
gmetad 3.4.0
Ganglia Web Frontend version 3.5.2

Would I need to patch gmond at this version?

<SNIP>