I am not very keen on "best practices" since they are often anything but best.

One of the reasons why view definitions were designed in a way that they were ie. using JSON was to make it fairly easy to generate those using a wide variety of tools from config management systems, shell scripts, etc. So you could technically run something every few minutes that looks at the list of hosts and generates the proper JSON view.

Vladimir