Working on updating my current ganglia installation, starting with the web
front end. Everything works as expected except for the views functionality.
This json file, for example:

{
  "view_name": "boo",
  "default_size": "medium",
  "items": [
    {
      "hostname": "if01.fnal.gov",
      "metric": "load_fifteen",
      "vertical_label": " ",
      "title": "Fifteen Minute Load Average"
    }
  ],
  "view_type": “standard”
}

Produces a graph with the generic “No matching metrics detected” error. I’ve
traced it to graphs.d/metric.php where it appears the variable $rrd_dir is not
set. If I click on the graph to get the url and add debug=2 to the end of the
url trying to produce it I see this error in the apache logs:

[Tue Dec 10 15:01:45 2013] [error] [client 131.225.88.123] Graph [metric] in
context []
[Tue Dec 10 15:01:45 2013] [error] [client 131.225.88.123] Final rrdtool
command:  /usr/bin/rrdtool graph -   --start '-3600s' --end now --width 650
--height 300 --title load_fifteen --vertical-label ' ' --slope-mode
HRULE:1#FFCC33:"No matching metrics detected"

If I modify the url from this:

http://fefdev.fnal.gov/ganglia/graph.php?r=hour&z=xlarge&m=load_fifteen&h=if01.fnal.gov&vl=+

to this:

http://fefdev.fnal.gov/ganglia/graph.php?r=hour&z=xlarge&m=load_fifteen&h=if01.fnal.gov&vl=+&c=MINERVA

A valid graph is produced. I’m no expert on the ganglia code, but it seems like
without the context being set, the web front end can’t find the rrd files? Am I
interpreting that correctly? Curiously, any views that use regex matching for
hosts is working just fine. Everything else about the web interface is working
also.. but unfortunately I can’t move forward on the upgrade without the
working views as users are expecting them to be there.