Hello,

I am fairly new to Ganglia, and have a problem with Ganglia 3.6.0 / Ganglia
Web 3.5.10: In one of my clusters, after I add approximately 55 hosts, the
graphs go blank. I think it's very similar to
http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-general%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg07852.html,
but that thread is old and does not seem to have been resolved.

I have five clusters -- four are small (up to 40 hosts) and are working
fine. The last one, "HPC Cluster", is where I am having trouble. I start
gmond 3-5 servers at a time and after approximately 55 hosts, the web site
starts showing blackouts. If I add more hosts the blackout becomes
permanent. The blackouts present as follows:

* In the Grid report the number of hosts and cores for akk clusters is
correct and allhosts are marked "up".
* In the Cluster report, the number of cores is correct but some hosts are
marked "down". Actually, most of the time they're all marked "down".
* In both the Grid report and the Cluster report the graphs for HPC Cluster
are blank.
* None of this affects any of the other clusters.

I've read a number of threads and tried to anticipate the most common
questions.

* All servers use NTP and running "date" on all of them shows they're
synchronized to a second or so.
* I do not see the message "illegal attempt to update using time X when
last update time is X".
* I moved gmetad to a bigger box (16 cores, 256 GB RAM, negligible prior
usage). Didn't even increase the number of hosts I can add before the
blackouts start.
* All data sources use the default polling interval, 15 seconds.
* Tried adding the servers in different orders.
* No errors in the logs, no errors of I start gmond and gmetad with -d.
* I ran "netstat -su" on all boxes, and there were no packets dropped
anywhere.
* I ran "netstat -au" on the gmetad box and "Recv-Q" and 'Send-Q" were
always 0.
* The server where gmetad runs has a UDP buffer
(/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max) of 4194304.
* I dumped the RRDs and in these blank areas the metrics are "NaN".
* During blackouts, I tried "telnet <gmetad servicing node> <port>" and
always got an immediate and apparently full response.
* The cluster's gmonds are all multicast and all listen and send. I tried
unicast and I tried a deaf/mute multicastwithout any improvement.

I guess that the fact that none of the other clusters is impacted means
it's not a resources issie. I therefore assume it's a configuration or
architecture issue. I can post the configuration files of gmetad and gmond,
but this post is pretty long as it is. So, in short:

* I am using one gmetad for all clusters.
* The data source for "HPC Cluster" has 6 nodes servicing it (n800, n816,
n832, n848, n864, n880) and uses port 8650.
  I originally only had two nodes. When the blackouts started, I added more.
* Gmond on all hosts uses six multicast channels, the same 6 nodes (n800,
n816, n832, n848, n864, n880) on port 8650.
  I originally had a single multicast channel. When the blackouts started,
I added more.
* Gmond on all hosts listens on UDP and TCP on port 8650.

Since none of the other clusters is impected, I could probably split this
cluster in smaller clusters and those would work, but this will make
reporting the full cluster usage more painful.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Filipe