I'm having trouble understanding what values to use for dmax and tmax in my
gmetric calls, and how those values match up to actual behaviour.  The
situation is that I have several cron scripts that each run once a minute,
finding various custom metrics and passing them into ganglia.  I then have
the ganglia-alert script running, alerting on various metrics.

When using the default values, I often go false alerts because a metric
would appear to have disappeared for a moment, which makes sense as the
script sometimes take a few seconds to run, so there is a window for the
metrics age to go slightly over the 60 second mark.  After some
experimentation, it seems the only way I've found to not drop any metrics
unnecessarily is to set BOTH dmax and tmax to something over the default of
60 - I'm using 120.  But I don't understand why I should have to set tmax
at all in this situation, and I don't really understand what these values
are actually controlling.  Can anyone shed more light on this?