From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shane Ford
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 8:58 AM
To: GatorNEWS
Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]: FYI: (Spurrier) - Old ball coach goes for 16-0
vs. Kentucky

Old ball coach goes for 16-0 vs. Kentucky

By JEFFREY McMURRAY Associated Press Writer

 <http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081010/APS/810100610> Old ball coach
goes for 16-0 vs Kentucky

Published: Friday, October 10, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, October 10, 2008 at 5:06 a.m.

In the last two years, former Southeastern Conference bottom-feeder Kentucky
has won two bowl games. It has groomed and graduated a record-setting
quarterback. It has knocked off a No. 1 team and pulled upsets against other
SEC powers.

But despite all the things the Wildcats have accomplished, one unfinished
task continues to haunt them, perhaps ranking above the rest. Kentucky has
never beaten Steve Spurrier - now 15 times and counting.

On Saturday, the Wildcats (4-1, 0-1) get another crack at the old ball coach
when they host South Carolina (4-2, 1-2) in a game that could go a long way
toward determining the pecking order for the SEC's mid-tier teams.

And as for that streak against Spurrier, which trails only two losing
streaks against Penn State's Joe Paterno as the longest in the country
against a single coach, Kentucky's players say they realize Spurrier won't
be in uniform.

"We can't go in thinking that we haven't beaten them in so long and this and
that," running back Tony Dixon said. "We have to focus on our assignments
and focus on the game."

Last year, when the Gamecocks won 38-23 in Columbia, the matchup was billed
as a slugfest. Kentucky's potent passing attack behind Andre Woodson was
coming off five straight 40-point performances - the first SEC team to do
that since Spurrier's Florida Gators accomplished the feat in 2001.

This time, the defense is expected to star. Kentucky leads the nation in
scoring defense while South Carolina ranks 16th. The teams are even stingier
in stopping the pass, with the Gamecocks allowing only 128 passing yards a
game - second to Arizona nationally, and the Wildcats are tied for third,
allowing 144.

That could make things difficult for two sophomore quarterbacks who have had
mixed results as starters.

South Carolina's Chris Smelley is coming off arguably the best performance
of his career, when he completed 22 of 32 passes for 327 yards and three
touchdowns against Ole Miss on Saturday, earning SEC player of the week
honors.

Kentucky's Mike Hartline was largely contained by Alabama's defense last
week but did engineer a 48-yard TD pass to DeMoreo Ford that pulled the
Wildcats within 3 with 40 seconds left. The Crimson Tide held on, averting
the upset.

"Winning against South Carolina would be a great confidence booster and a
great way to start at home in the conference," Hartline said. "We've got to
put Alabama behind us. They're not on our side of conference play and the
more important ones are the ones on our side of the SEC."

But while turnovers were a problem for Kentucky in that one, coach Rich
Brooks says South Carolina presents no lesser challenge on that side of the
ball.

"Defensively they've got as good personnel as any of the good defenses do,"
Brooks said. "And right now they've got the best defense in our league.
They're big, they're physical, their linebackers are very large and active.
They'll be a tough matchup for us in the run blocking as well as picking up
their blitzing."

Hartline likely won't get all of Kentucky's snaps. Freshman speedster
Randall Cobb is expected to be back, splitting time with Hartline under
center and lining up as a receiver other times.

"Rich Brooks and his staff have really improved the quality of all the
athletes up there," Spurrier said. "Ten years ago, Kentucky was considered a
slow team, but now they're like most of the SEC teams with tremendous team
speed."

Spurrier, long regarded for the offensive juggernauts he has fielded year
after year, acknowledges this squad uses different ways to win. Even
Smelley's breakout game he said had as much to do with "good fortune" than
great play.

"It's looked ugly at times," Spurrier said of his team's offense. "I'm
thankful it's not as ugly as some of these other schools out there. There's
a lot of ugly offenses out there. Auburn and Tennessee, some of these places
that are used to having very good offenses, are struggling. We can be a lot
better on offense. We'll continue to work on it."

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

<<inline: image001.gif>>