From: Gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Helen Huntley
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 2:18 PM
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Subject: [gatortalk] I hope everyone noticed we've already beaten the Noles
once this week.

Women's hoops tops No. 21 'Noles

Special to The Gainesville Sun

Published: Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, November 24, 2008 at 12:10 a.m.

Senior Sha Brooks scored 18 of her season-high 24 points in the second half,
leading the Florida women's basketball team to a 72-57 upset over No. 21
Florida State on Sunday afternoon at the Tucker Center.

Brooks, who started her 95th consecutive game, hit 7-of-15 from the field
and 10-of-13 from the free throw line, helping the Gators (3-1) earn their
first victory over a nationally ranked team since upsetting then-No. 5
Tennessee, 95-93 in overtime, on Feb. 26, 2006 in Knoxville.

The win over the Seminoles (3-1) also halted a 15-game losing streak to
ranked teams, while denying Florida State its first crack at recording the
500th victory in program history.

"This win couldn't feel more perfect," UF head coach Amanda Butler said. "I
have a ton of respect for Florida State and the job that Sue Semrau
continues to do here.

"I really believe they are one of the best teams in the country, especially
their starting five, who I think can play with any team in the country. So,
this is a huge win for us."

Florida hit an impressive 51 percent from the floor (25-49), the third
consecutive game converting over half of its shots, and 80 percent from the
free throw line (20-of-25), while holding a 42-35 rebounding advantage over
their taller instate counterparts.

Senior Marshae Dotson led the Gators on the boards, collecting a season-high
13 while adding six points. Junior Sharielle Smith joined Brooks in
double-figure scoring, tallying 15 points along with seven rebounds and
hitting four more attempts from the free throw line, where she extended her
season-opening run to a perfect 14-of-14.

After the Seminoles cut the Gators' second-half lead to six points, 49-43,
with 8:41 remaining, Smith nailed a 3-pointer from the left side to start
Florida's 11-2 run. The Gators' response included a left-handed hook-shot
from Aneika Henry, a runner in the lane from Brooks and a driving layup
along the right baseline from Jennifer Mossor, as the lead grew to 15
points, 60-45, with 6:28 to play.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

<<inline: image001.gif>>