Nah, that's a meaningless argument since any cutoff has to leave some team
as the highest-ranked team not included. Heck, basketball teams fuss when
they're the 65th team instead of the 64th. But put it in perspective. Just
as a 16th seed has never won the NCAA basketball tourney, a 9th or 10th team
would never win a real football NC. Name me one year when anyone was arguing
that the number 9 or 10 team belonged in the BCS championship game and had
gotten cheated out of the opportunity. They don't, because the 9 and 10
teams simply aren't good enough. Two teams are too few to find a real
champion, four teams would be marginal, but the legitimate contenders would
always be in the top eight.

Here's this year's top 8. What team with any real chance of winning a
tournament is missing? Boise State? Ohio State? Neither team would run this
gauntlet. No, eight teams would cover it. I respectfully disagree with your
last statement... a playoff wouldn't solve all the world's problems, or even
all the problems in college football, but it would certainly solve the
problems with the BCS and give legitimacy to the football national
championship. For the first time, a national champion would have actually
earned the title by defeating the best teams in the country, regardless of
conference, on the field where the game belongs.

1 Alabama 12-0 0.9713
2 Oklahoma 11-1 0.9350
3 Texas 11-1 0.9223
4 Florida 11-1 0.8850