From: Shane Ford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 7:20 AM
To: Gatortalk
Subject: [SUN]: Famed orange-and-blue house hits real estate market
(Crabbe)

Famed orange-and-blue house hits real estate market

<http://www.gainesville.com/article/20081205/NEWS/812051001/1002##>

<http://images.gainesville.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=GS&Date=2008120
5&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=812051001&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=600&border=0>

Doug Engle/Star-Banner

Daryl Cook painted his house orange and blue in 2005 and painted the
roof in the scheme of a football field in protest of his home owners
association denying him the right to tear down his home and build two
homes on the lot. He has since lost the fight in multiple law suites in
Dunwoody, Ga.

By Nathan Crabbe <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gainesville Sun Staff Writer

Published: Friday, December 5, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 8:32 p.m.

FOR SALE: Orange and blue home with replica of Florida Field on the
roof. Must be willing to tolerate the occasional Georgia fan repainting
the University of Florida mailbox and smashing the alligator statues.

- - -

ATLANTA - Daryl Cook fought City Hall and lost. Now he's put his
orange-and-blue symbol of protest on the real estate market.

"I'm so tired. I'm done with it," he said.

About three years ago, Cook painted his Atlanta-area home in Gator
colors to protest government agencies that prevented him from
subdividing the property. Last week, a local court rejected his lawsuit
over the rulings.

So now he plans to sell the house, which is currently being rented out.

"It's not as much fun as it used to be," he said.

Cook is a civil engineer who graduated from UF in 1985. He dubbed the
house "the Swamp of Dunwoody" for obvious reasons.

The roof is painted with yard lines and end zones that say "FLORIDA" on
one side and "GATORS" on the other. Search for "Dunwoody Club Drive" on
Google Earth and the whole thing is clearly visible.

The home is located among McMansions that start in the $500,000 price
range. Mark Lipton, who currently rents the place, said he's grown used
to sightseers and vandals making regular appearances on the property.
"You get some people that destroy things, and you get some people that
want to take pictures," he said. "It's a mixed crowd."

Cook's protest started after he proposed to tear down the house and
replace it with two large, new ones. His neighbors opposed the required
zoning change and won, so he was stuck with the house on land zoned for
agriculture.

He responded by bringing some farm animals onto the property to match
the zoning designation and surrounding the house with alligator statues.
He did most of the paint job in one night with a few buckets from a home
improvement store and a sixpack of beer.

"It was me being a bad boy and showing my displeasure," he said.

He named some of the animals after his favorite Gators: Spurrier the
rooster and three goats named Donovan and the Gatorettes.

"Effectively, what I ended up with is a petting zoo," he said.

The animals brought more drama, such as foxes invading the property to
feast. His pigs escaped into neighboring properties. About two years
ago, he ditched the animals, rented the property and moved away.

"It became too much work," he said.

Lipton is a Syracuse fan but rented the place because he was going
through a divorce and needed a home near his boy's school. He hopes Cook
changes his mind about selling.

But Cook is ready to move on. He's selling the property as is, with the
thought that the buyer will demolish it and build a fancy home to match
the neighborhood.

"It's always been a knockdown property," he said.

But that doesn't mean Cook is ditching his passion for the Gators. He
owns a Ford F-150 truck customized with Gator seats, hubcaps and about
everything else Gator.

Recently, he removed the hood and hauled it to a meeting of the Atlanta
Gator Club for Urban Meyer to sign it.

"I put my money where my mouth is," he said. "I put my passion where my
mouth is."

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

<<inline: image001.jpg>>