Its one thing to run your mouth and taunt other teams and coaches when you are winning.  Like Spurrier USE to do.  Spurrier is not doing that now - because he can't back it up.

Because if you can't bring it - the other teams will.

I like Meyer's approach to Georgia.  Let them talk and act up - Gators will bring it.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: How long will the SEC and Tennessee put up
with Lane Kiffin?
From: "Rob Alexander" <ga...@wldrth.us>
Date: Sat, February 07, 2009 11:50 am
To: <Gatortalk@googlegroups.com>

Kiffin is like a 17 year old himself. Goofing around with kids phones, telling them to lie to people, lying himself in his press conferences and taunting the other coaches in the SEC (all of whom have a better head coaching record than 5-15). A coach like that is going to have some serious disciplinary problems. How can he expect his kids to behave any better than he does?

As to losing kids to other schools at the last minute, it really doesn’t worry me. For every blue chip recruit that turns out to be a star, there are two that are a disappointment. These kids are stars in their high schools because they’re more athletically gifted than the others around them, but when they get to college, they’re on a team where everyone was the star in high school and being special isn’t automatic any more. No one knows how any kid will react to that until they get there. Some will have the mental toughness to compete at the new level and will once again become stars, but lots of them just coast and never really become big contributors.

The thing that really strikes me about Richardson is his lack of character. He was supposed to have developed a relationship with the Florida coaches. Otherwise, why would he have verbally committed to them? So what does it say about his character that 1) he would actively participate in a lie by continuing to tell them he was coming once he knew he wasn’t, just so it would mess up their ability to recruit someone else, and 2) that he would say to the papers when asked about Kiffin’s accusation about Myer, that he ‘likes Kiffin’s style’.

Contrast this with the stories we read about other recruits. Those that are making a hard decision between two schools usually find it really difficult to tell the coaches at the school that almost got them that they’re not coming. They develop real relationships with more than one set of coaches and they genuinely feel bad about saying no to someone. (Tebow says he still stays in touch with Mike Shula.) But this kid didn’t feel the slightest bit bad about lying to the coaches he had committed to, or about changing his commitment at the last minute. He told the papers that the whole thing was funny. A kid like that wasn’t going to be a team player even if he had come here. He’ll fit in better with Kiffin.

Rob