From: Gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatort...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Steve McKibben
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:46 AM
To: Gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: [gatornews] [SUN]: Today's (2/11) Gainesville Sun
OLYMPIC SPORTS & "MISC STUFF" GatorNEWS Articles (2 Articles Included)

Jerry - I would have thought the same thing - in fact, I was thinking I had
heard a figure approaching 25% was the number.

Here's wikipedia's entry on the subject (standard disclaimers apply):

Admissions

Fall freshman statistics[52]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-admit-51> [53]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-admit.2708-52>

2008

2007

2006

2005

Applicants

27,865

24,040

21,710

21,792

Admits

10,289

10,294

10,474

12,056

 % Admitted

36.92

42.82

48.24

55.32

This table does not account deferred
applications or other unique situations.

As the acceptance rate at the University of Florida has trended downward,
the application process has become increasingly competitive. The university
has a freshmen retention rate of 93%.[30]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-MediaGuide-29>
For the first-year students that enrolled at UF in 2008, the median SAT
score is 1240 - 1410, and the Median GPA was 4.1 - 4.4.[54]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-53>  UF's
class of 2007 yield rate was at 57%, and looks to be very selective for
coming years.

In the words of Sarasota Herald-Tribune
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarasota_Herald-Tribune>  reporter Anna Scott,
"Three years after university officials capped the size of the freshman
class at about 6,600, competition at UF is at an all-time high, forcing
admissions officers to choose among the brightest and leaving behind an
unprecedented number of disappointed families. Of those who applied to be
part of this fall's incoming freshman class, an estimated 42 percent were
accepted -- the lowest acceptance rate in the history of the state's public
schools."[55]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-HT_20070722-54
>  Selectivity at the state's top university is expected to heighten as UF
continues to work toward becoming one of the nation's Top 10 public
universities.[55]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-HT_20070722-54
>  In 2008, the acceptances reached a new low when out of 28,000 applicants,
only 10,000 were accepted (An acceptance rate of around 37 percent).[56
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida#cite_note-55>

--- On Wed, 2/11/09, Jerry Belloit <bell...@clarion.edu> wrote:

There is something bad wrong about the numbers in this table.  I would bet
big money that the University of Florida does not accept 42% of those that
apply.  There must be some pre-screening going on.  Perhaps there is a
preliminary application that is used to screen the pool?  Does anyone know?

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us