Dumb it down, in other words.  :-/  That stinks.

  From: Jerry Belloit
  To: Gatortalk@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 8:10 PM
  Subject: [gatortalk] Re: [gatornews] [SUN]: UF gets kudos for top graduation
rate

  Keith,

  There has been a paradigm shift in higher education.  When I began teaching
in 1976 the stated policy was teach to the top ten % of the class and don’t
worry about the rest.  When I taught at Florida International university, the
pass rate for the beginning finance class averaged about 20-30%.

  Now the new mantra in higher education is retention.  In fact some state
governments have gone so far as to change their funding formula for the
universities to be based upon the graduation rates.  Consequently there is a
significant economic incentive to pass everyone and not let people fail out.

  jerry