From: Shane Ford <go.ufgator...@gmail.com>
To: gatorn...@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 8:19:15 AM
Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]: "Dooley's Desk" --- summer of stupid rolls on

August 23rd, 2009 10:22am
summer of stupid rolls on
by Pat Dooley   (Gainesville SUN)

The Summer of Stupid just won’t end.
The latest controversy that really isn’t controversial involves Urban Meyer’s
comments last week when he was asked about two Miami players being involved in
a fight in the locker room. Meyer talked about building chemistry and the
issues he faced when he came to UF.
“The freshmen were in a spare locker room with a bunch of tin lockers and they
were not allowed to walk into (the regular locker room),” Meyer said. “Think
about this for a minute. This was a big-time college football program and we
had some fights and stuff because they treat the freshmen like they were
non-people — ‘Don’t walk through here, we’ll kick your tail and shave your
eyebrows.’ That’s the great culture we had here. That was tremendous.
“You don’t win many games, but you beat up freshmen and shave eyebrows. I can’t
imagine that. That’s absolutely unbelievable.”
Those in the Ron Zook camp — and, yes, there is still a Zook camp around these
parts — are up in arms because they see Meyer’s comments as a shot at Zook.
That’s why Meyer called me Saturday morning. Usually, the Florida coach doesn’t
care what is being said or written about his program. But in this case, he
wanted to get the word out that he didn’t intend the comments to be a rip of
the previous coach.
“I called Ron about it,” he said. “That comment wasn’t about the coach. It was
about the players. It’s on them if that was happening. Not the coach.
I told Ron that.”
I can tell you after covering Meyer for more than four years he has gone out of
his way to avoid being critical of the previous coach. In thepiece I wrote
about Meyer’s new-found love for Gainesville, he asked me several times to
point out that the coach before him had done a great job.
What Meyer has done and did again with those comments is point out how
difficult it was to come in here and deal with a group of players who were
divided, some who even tried to implode the team. Meyer knows that he inherited
a tremendous amount of talent fromZook.
It was a tough environment that Meyer inherited just as it was a tough
environment that Zook inherited after Steve Spurrier left abruptly.
Let’s all just move on. The Zookers would be better off worrying about Penn
State and Ohio State than comments being made by Meyer. And Meyer and his peeps
have enough on their plates this year.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us