All relief is appreciated.d

From: Cecilia <gator...@bellsouth.net>
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2009 3:38:35 PM
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: [gatornews] Today's Gatornews from Miami Herald and
Palm Beach Post

Actually, Zeb, that apostrophe is misplaced and often is, even in the writing
of learned folks.  If you consult a writing handbook, you will find that a
reference to the years 1960-1969 should be written "'60s", not "60's", with the
leading apostrophe there to denote the omission of the 1 and the 9.  The term
is not possessive, and, therefore, the apostrophe between the 0 and the s is
incorrect.

That being said, it is considered correct to insert an apostrophe when
pluralizing a letter.  It is correct to write, for example, "My son got 5 A's
on his report card".  That is done so that the reader will not confuse the
plural of "A" with the word "As".

Thank you for providing a way for me to kill 5 minutes of this endless wait for
kickoff...

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us