Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]: Gators tune out media [Aschoff]
From: Shane Ford <go.ufgator...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, November 18, 2009 2:13 pm
To: gatorn...@googlegroups.com

Gators tune out media

By Edward Aschoff
Gainesville SUN Correspondent

Published: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 1:04 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 1:04 p.m.

Florida coach Urban Meyer will have to apologize for his lack of Tweets.

Click to enlarge

Florida head coach Urban Meyer and South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier meet at mid-field following the Gators 24-14 win over the University of South Carolina in Columbia Saturday, November 14, 2009.

Doug Finger/The Gainesville Sun

Or his outdated Facebook status.
Meyer's Internet privileges have been revoked since the Gators' 23-13 win over Tennessee. He turned his computer off and only checks it to see if it still runs.
Meyer put a halt to his online use because he let the media corrupt him. He let what others were saying and expecting affect him and his coaching. His focus was directed toward impressing rather than winning.
"Players feed off the guy that stands in front at meeting time and if I'm worried about that then our focus isn't on getting better in certain aspects of our game," Meyer said. "I actually feel great ever since then because we just go."
He feels good because his team is undefeated and still No. 1 in the country. While the criticism continues, Meyer said not paying attention to it is almost as good as it not existing.
Meyer's players have taken a similar stance.
Junior safety Ahmad Black said he doesn't pay much attention to what is said and that his days of continuously watching ESPN ended. With all the negativity flying at his team, Black said he's grown tired of the analysts.
"A lot of guys on ESPN and all those shows probably haven't even ever played," Black said. "They're out there, they're not in our team meetings. They're not around. I just watch (ESPN) if I have nothing to do."
However, it's the price the top-ranked Gators must pay. The offense's red zone struggles and the lack of consistent big plays are the forefront of conversation. The goals of wide scoring margins and perfect football weren't on the list of expectations for the Gators, but it was for those outside the program.
"They want us to beat everyone by 102 (points) and give up no yards and score every time we touch the ball," Black said.
That certainly hasn't happened, but a 10-0 record, a SEC Eastern Division title and 20 wins in a row has. Still, it's not enough for some.
"They are going to set it way, way above the achievable goal," sophomore safety Will Hill said. "Whatever we do is never good enough.
"Everybody's going to be after us because we're Florida and who we are and what we've accomplished. Everybody wants to see us go down."
Hill's words hinted at a sense of frustration, but he said he's blocking out the negatives as best he can. He's going for a "If I don't listen to it, it can't bother me" attitude by replacing ESPN with more Cartoon Network time.
"I don't do the ESPN thing because you have critics that (say) Florida's this, Florida's that," he said. "You're not a Florida player. You're not a Florida coach. You're not a part of the staff, so you don't know what's going on."
To keep team frustrations down, wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales said the emphasis has been on coming together and realizing the importance of the accomplishments not talked about.
"The bottom line is we're 10-0, we've won 20 straight and our guys know that," Gonzales said. "They've done a heck of a job. It's a tough deal to go through the SEC and win every game. A lot of people sometimes take it for granted."
As the season winds down, the stat of zero losses grows more important.
Quarterback Tim Tebow hears the complaints about the offense. He hears his Heisman Trophy candidacy question. He hears how his team has disappointed.
It means nothing to him. He just wants that zero to maintain position.
To Tebow, the talk is what's overrated, not his team.
"I try not to listen to the hype and listen to what people are saying because that's really all it is are opinions and there are a lot of different ones out there," he said. "I don't really care to hear them all."

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us