-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [2daves] Two Daves Pick The SEC - December 5, 2009
From: magee <ma...@datasync.com>
Date: Fri, December 04, 2009 1:20 pm
To: 2da...@yahoogroups.com

Two Daves Pick The SEC
December 5, 2009
2009 SEC Championship Game

Welcome to Two Daves Pick The SEC! Undefeated Alabama and undefeated
Florida meet in Atlanta this weekend to decide who plays for the BCS Title
game. In between the lines, this game also decides who gets to skulldrag
TCU. It appears that Bobby Bowden got the message loud and clear,
courtesy of Urban Meyer. Mississippi State is still running all over Ole
Miss and Arkansas continues to give LSU fits. Such is life in the SEC.

Doug says:

Sadly the season is pretty much over now. College football season is
easily the fastest three months of the year. Luckily for us, some of the
better games were saved for the final week of the season. We saw Auburn
and Alabama in a 12 round heavyweight fight that Alabama was able to
squeak out in the end. We saw scintillating matchups in LSU-Arkansas and
Tennessee-Kentucky, each taking overtime to settle. We saw Mississippi
State absolutely take Ole Miss behind the woodshed in a big victory for
Dan Mullens program. We saw Florida give Bobby Bowden a kick to the rear
end as a retirement present. We saw South Carolina and Georgia pick up
big, big out-of-conference victories. And now, we see ten (thats right,
ten) bowl eligible teams in the conference.

Now, we turn our attention to the SEC championship game. This is probably
the real national championship. Texas is a fine football team with a
legitimate Heisman candidate in Colt McCoy, so apologies to them, but
Alabama and Florida are the two best football teams in the land. One of
them will be watching the national championship game from home, too, which
is unfortunate. But this is the SEC, where our cellar teams would compete
for titles in your leagues. Our boys beat each other up all year just to
give also-rans from other conferences an opportunity to slip into the
national conversation. Yeah, Im a SEC snob, but Im also right.

SEC Championship Game: Alabama vs. Florida

Dave says:

This super heavy weight match will compare to Frazier versus Ali. Defense
wins championships, and both of these teams have fantastic defenses.
There are other similarities: both of these teams rely heavily on the
rushing game, both pass enough to keep defenses honest, both play solid
special teams, and both have top $helf coaching staffs. Oh yeah, theres
this little thing called the Heisman Trophy. Tim Tebow and Mark Ingram
are both in the mix, and a strong showing here can make a huge difference
in who wins. Colt McCoy will do his best to wrap it up this weekend as
well.

Alabama got jacked up early by Auburn but managed to put enough together
to earn a win in a heated rivalry game. Florida simply mauled Florida
State. Does that mean anything here? Likely not. Both of these teams
know what is on the line and had the same experience last season.

The wild card here is Carlos Dunlap, the latest DUI SEC player. Florida
managed ok without Brandon Spikes for a couple of games, but Carlos Dunlap
is a great defensive player that makes a lot of great plays. His poor
decision off the field is going to hurt his team. Tackling Mark Ingram
and Trent Richardson requires the best talent youve got. With Dunlap on
the bench, who knows what will happen.

Conversely, Florida has the best tight end in the nation in Aaron
Hernandez; the guy defines clutch. He will test Alabamas linebackers and
secondary. Then theres that Tebow guy..

Defense will rule this game, and the difference might come down to a drunk
driver. I think Floridas experience and the tremendous effort Tim Tebow
gives will be the difference. Id be more confident in Florida with
Dunlap. As it stands

Florida 17
Alabama 16

Doug says:

This is a matchup of very similar teams. Both have the ability to play
stifling defense. Both like to control the ball on offense. Both are
spectacular in special teams play, and have home run threats as returners.
Tim Tebow had a rough patch with turnovers around mid-season, but hes
seemed to rectify that. Greg McElroy has been inconsistent at times, but
has been good enough. Both teams have tremendous possession receivers.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot; the two best coaches in the nation may be facing
each other in this game, too.

So, how do you handicap a game between two teams that blew through the SEC
undefeated and are so similarly matched? Well, you dont. I mean, Magee
and I will give it a shot here, but the reality is that its a guess. Flip
a coin. Theyre that good.

In my mind, Im leaning toward Florida. They have a lot of big-game
experience and a QB with a couple of national championship rings. The
difference in QB play is probably whats going to be the determining factor
here, and Tebow, simply put, has been there, done that. I do not foresee
Mark Ingram, Alabamas primary offensive weapon, having a big day against
Floridas defense, even without Carlos DUI Dunlap. Julio Jones is going to
need McElroy to play well for him to be a factor. Javier Arenas will have
an opportunity to change the game, but then again, so will Brandon James.

So, I expect a low-scoring defensive slugfest, with Florida doing just
enough to win it in the end. But I would not be surprised to see a
low-scoring defensive slugfest with Alabama doing just enough to win it in
the end. Really, its too close to call, but Ill try

Urban Legends 21
Crimson Legends 20

.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us