My only question is what is "slightly stoopid"? Is that a veiled reference
to an f$u graduate? J

Randy

From: gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatort...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of oli...@bobparks.com
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 10:31 AM
To: Gator Talk
Subject: [gatortalk] Fw: [gatornews] [SUN]: Police shut down concert at UF
[Fisher]

Them danged hippies! What're they gonna get into next?

From: Shane Ford <go.ufgator...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:40:45 -0500
To: <gatorn...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]: Police shut down concert at UF [Fisher]

Police shut down concert at UF

Police said they were concerned that some of the estimated 12,000 spectators
were getting hurt.

By Lise Fisher <mailto:fish...@gvillesun.com>
Gainesville SUN Staff Writer
Published: Monday, March 29, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 11:12 p.m.

Reports that at least eight people needed medical attention and a
miscommunication over the predicted size of the crowd at the Save My Oceans
concert Saturday night prompted police to shut down the show at the
University of Florida early.
Some in the audience said the concert's abrupt end surprised and frustrated
many in the crowd who didn't understand why the show was being closed so
soon after headliner Slightly Stoopid had taken the stage. There had been
some announcements that police were going to end the event early unless
people "calmed down," witnesses said, although they said they didn't see
people getting too rowdy.
According to an initial report from University of Florida police, officers
thought that far fewer people would be at the show. There also were more
than the usual number of calls for medical assistance for such an event.
Approximately 12,000 people showed up for the concert at Flavet Field, when
police thought only about 500 people would attend, said Lt. Robert Wagner.
"We were told from the officers that they were concerned people were getting
hurt," said Student Government Productions Chairman Aaron Crespin.
Officers told organizers several people had been taken away in ambulances
and that there were problems in reaching those who needed medical treatment.
"After that point, they had enough and wanted to shut the show down,"
Crespin said. "We were as disappointed if not more disappointed that it got
put down."
Organizers did negotiate with officers to allow the show to continue long
enough for Slightly Stoopid to at least get on stage, Crespin said. "The
police were worried about there being a riot. Initially, they didn't want
the headliner to perform at all."
The group was supposed to play about 90 minutes but was on stage for about
45, Crespin said.
The concert was the largest put on at the university in years, and Crespin
said police knew in advance the crowds would be large at the free show.
Generally, concerts on campus attract several thousand people. And advance
word about the show in news reports said more than 10,000 people were
expected.
Crespin said he believed the incorrect number for attendance came from
wording on a university student affairs permit for the event that was not
meant as an actual crowd estimate.
A supervisor and eight officers were working the show, according to police.
Eight people were transported by paramedics during the concert, and police
issued some notices to appear in court on charges such as possession of
alcohol. At one point, officers also lost contact with another officer in
the crowd who was checking on a report of a medical problem.
Crespin and Wagner said they didn't know why those transported required
medical attention.
People at the concert said they saw some people who were sick, possibly from
drinking alcohol, and heard reports that others may have been hurt in the
crowd.
No physical arrests were made, but Wagner said, with the crowd's numbers and
the calls for medical assistance, police decided to close down the show
about a half hour to 45 minutes before it was expected to end.
"People were pretty mad," said UF student Andrew Nelson, 20, about the
decision.
"People were definitely shouting at the cops and upset they had to leave,"
UF student Chelsea Downs, 20, said.
The two estimated the announcement came at about 9 or 9:30 p.m. after
Slightly Stoopid had played about five songs.
"They didn't explain anything. They made it seem like we were being really
rowdy," Downs said.
Some people did start a chant about rioting but she said that ended quickly.
People seemed confused over the decision to close the show and left.
"I would say that they should have been more prepared wherever communication
faltered between UPD and SG," Nelson said. "I understand why they shut it
down, but there could have been a little more preparation on their part."
Correspondent Allison Arteaga contributed to this report.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

gatornews+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
"REMOVE ME" as the subject.
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

gatortalk+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
"REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us