I feel your pain, Terri. This hurts all of us. :(

From: gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatort...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Terri
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 12:03 AM
To: GatorTalk
Subject: [gatortalk] Emmitt's diss of GatorNation

God Bless Emmitt for being inducted tonight in the NFL Hall of Fame- I
am so proud of him and happy for him and in awe of his dedication and
love of Christ, and family-   Did he not have the most beautiful smile
when ESPN interviewed him before the ceremony?  Did I not put my
Saturday plans on hold to wait over 2.5 hours for his turn to be proud
when he mentioned the GATOR NATION tonight at his induction
speech??????  Well I waited for naught and so while still feeling
proud and happy for him and his family, I have not been so
disappointed in a long, long, time and frankly SHOCKED that he could
mention his high school coaches helping his pro-career and just SKIP
his college career - not ONE mention of any Gator teammates, coaches,
professors or fans that helped him launch a most successful NFL career
- are we supposed to believe there wasn't one gator or memory worthy
of a mention? Not ONE mention of the loyal support of the gator
nation?  I wonder how much that gator woman in the audience @ Dayton
spent being there for Emmitt to only be dissed in a way no other
college was dissed this evening.
Throughout the years, I can't tell you how many times I would feel so
bad for Emmitt thinking back to his different OC's at UF and the whole
debacle with Galen Hall, which gave Emmitt an interim coach and chaos
his last year at Florida.  A year didn't go by that I didn't lament at
least once that he never beat our three great rivals --- Auburn,
Georgia and 1/2assu..which,  by the way has now been 23 years of
yearly feeling  bad for him.  I believed him in his bio when he said
my beloved SOS didn't want him at UF for his senior year and being sad
for him.  There's not a year that goes by that I don't think of being
at his first game in Miami in 1987 where we lost but he wowed us when
Hall finally put him in the game - we wished they had put him in
earlier.  At this link [3:00 mark,] is Emmitt Smith's first carry for
Florida--ironically, in a game against Michael Irvin's Miami
Hurricanes.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXNDieUdsw
Even with his chaotic college career, Emmitt was still the second all-
time leading rusher for the Gators, and he was elected into the 2006
College Football Hall of Fame.
A year doesn't go by that I don't think of my mom and dad going to
Tuscaloosa for the first time and being so excited @ seeing UF
freshman running back Emmitt Smith leading the unranked Gators to a
23-14 upset in Birmingham, & rushing for a then school-record 224
yards in his first collegiate start. I still enjoy listening to audio
clips of Emmitt's historic day in Alabama.   A year doesn't go by that
I don't think of being in Auburn for his last shot at beating Auburn
and seeing the hopeless situation he was in with our predictable game
plan [run Emmitt left; run Emmitt right with an inefficient QB at the
helm] and with all that, STILL seeing we should have won if not for
the refs @ Auburn and remembering the shi$$y Auburn fans throwing beer
bottles at him.  It always haunted me.   I still remember entering
Florida Field [not yet named the Swamp] pregame UF/1/2ASSU 1989 and
seeing us wear blue jerseys and orange pants [or vice versa] for the
fist time...of remembering going against a great 1/2ASSU team with no
weapon but Emmitt and still almost beating them..I loved him for
giving every game his all and for being what I thought was a true
gator. My biggest thought as I walked out of the stadium after that
devastating loss was remembering how sad I was that Emmitt didn't beat
fsu.

 I still remembering being so excited at SOS coming back to UF the
following season while at the same time feeling sad that Emmitt wasn't
coming back.  I still remember experiencing the disappointment of him
being drafted late yet still being so happy that he was drafted by the
cowboys  I remember spending my Sundays watching pro games I was not a
fan of just so I could cheer for Emmitt.  I still remember the ONE
bright spot of the 93 1/2assu game in the swamp was seeing our beloved
Emmitt on the sideline for the first time.  What Gator doesn't
remember with pride Emmitt's Super Bowl championships and record-
breaking games and years in the pro's?  What Gator doesn't remember
the anger when we thought he wasn't getting the recognition he
deserved or the contract he deserved?  I can tell you the only reason
and the ONLY time I watched Dancing w/ the Stars was when he was on
it.  I can tell you I proud I was when I watched Emmitt's sister
receive Emmitt's inductee award into the RING OF HONOR.

The above is my background for my energy devoted to this rant.  Emmitt
holds 58 school records at UF - and yet there's NOT ONE PLAYER OR
COACH OR PROFESSOR OR FAN that propelled him to mention his college
years in his most memorable evening?  The only time he came close to
mentioning UF was when he talked about getting his degree for his
mother - HELLO, Emmitt, where did you get your degree?  Did the Gator
Nation cheer for you?  [YES]  Were we proud of you?  [YES]  We aren't
privy to what happened to Emmitt while at Florida or what the recent
UF administration or coaching staff might have done to warrant his
shocking behavior tonight - YET, Emmitt has NO doubt of the love and
loyalty and pride the Gator Nation has for him - so I feel this is a
stab in the back from 22 to the GATOR NATION.

I was in Orlando @ the USC/UGA Citrus Bowl game in 1987 when Emmitt
was introduced as the Florida Player of the year.  At the time, my
marriage was winding down.   When my USC Trojan husband saw Emmitt
being introduced at halftime of that game [as the nation's highest-
rated running back and Florida's player of the year], I declared that
he would be a Florida Gator.  He looked at me with his southern
California condescending air and said, "Emmitt will never choose Neil
Anderson over OJ in recruiting him to a school. Why would anyone chose
UF over USC???  Just a couple of weeks after that we separated so I
had great joy when Emmitt chose UF over USC.

If you didn't know he played division one college football, listening
to his speech tonight you would think he went straight from high
school to "America's team."  America's team might outnumber the GATOR
NATION - but no group of people have been more loyal to him or now are
more frustrated and feeling such mixed emotions than the Gator
Nation.  I say mixed emotions as after all, tonight wasn't about the
gator nation; it was about Emmitt ==so while my admiration of him has
not diminished, I go to bed very sad and disappointed that our beloved
Gator Great has no such love, loyalty or respect for us.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us