I think the problem has only gotten worse - since he graduated.

i.e. - three players transfer out in a month

From: gatorn...@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatorn...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Shane Ford
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 9:49 AM
To: gatorn...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]: It's now or never for Marcus Thomas --- 8/19
17:46 --- [Dooley]

It's now or never for Marcus Thomas

By Pat Dooley <mailto:dool...@gvillesun.com>
Gainesville SUN Columnist

Published: Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 5:46 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 5:46 p.m.

CENTENNIAL, Colo. - For Marcus Thomas, it's college all over again.

This time he doesn't want to blow it.

Thomas, a defensive tackle, is in his fourth year with Denver after being
drafted in the fourth round of the 2007 NFL Draft. It's the last year of his
contract. He knows what it means.

"It's down to the wire," he said. "I put it in the mindset that I'm back in
college. This is the fourth year of college. It's time to start producing.
You can't be a rookie forever. I see guys get cut and never sign on with
anyone else. I don't want people to be wondering what ever happened to
Marcus Thomas."

Thomas started 16 games for the Broncos in 2008 but had no starts last
season. He has yet to record an NFL sack.

"I can't believe that," he said. "They're hard to come by."

It is a different Marcus Thomas than the senior who was suspended three
times at Florida, the third time permanently. Thomas was suspended for the
opener of Florida's national championship campaign in 2006, then again for
six games before being reinstated. Prior to Florida's game at Vanderbilt, he
was booted from the team.

We wondered at the time if he had thrown it all away. His suspensions were
for positive marijuana tests and his dismissal was for violating the
restrictions put on him by coach Urban Meyer.

Florida recovered.

Thomas wondered if he ever would.

"I look back at Florida and I really, really blew it," he said. "I'm
definitely more mature now. I thought I had thrown my career away at the
time. Luckily, Mike Shanahan gave me a chance. But even when I got to the
league, I took it for granted. I thought I was supposed to be here. I should
have been drafted higher."

That was then. This is now with an exclamation point.

He can look back at that senior year and shake his head.

What was I thinking?

He was a dominant force in the middle for a Gator team that had one of the
best defensive lines in school history. Jarvis Moss, his current Denver
teammate, and Derrick Harvey at the ends, both eventual first-round picks.
Ray McDonald next to him in the middle. When he came back from the six-game
suspension, it was controversial, one of those chances a coach takes that
can blow up in his face.

It did.

"Missed out on the national championship game," Thomas said. "I was happy
they won but I should have been out there. It hurt. It really hurt. On the
flip side, when I was watching the game, I was wishing I was playing for
Ohio State. There was some resentment.

"But when I look back, I was being prepared for the real world. In college,
you're still being babied. You come out here and there are no second or
third chances."

This may be his last.

He's fighting for a spot in the Denver rotation, fighting to keep his NFL
career alive. Thomas looks into the distance and tries to understand why the
young Marcus Thomas thought he could get away with it.

Entitlement. We see it all the time. College football players get that way
at times. They think they're the only thing that matters. When a team is
fighting for a national title, well, the rules don't apply to the stars.

At least that's what he thought.

"They had some regulations and restrictions I pretty much violated," he
said. "I was doing well on the field and I felt like they pretty much needed
me. I thought I was bigger than the team. Urban proved I wasn't."

It appeared to be a huge blow for the Gators in 2006. I remember showing up
in the Vandy press box and being stunned by the news.

"I got a whole bunch of those hate Facebook messages," Thomas said. "I
understand now."

One career was thrown away. This one still has life.

We'll see where it goes.

In this, his senior year.

Contact  <http://www.gainesville.com/section/TOPIC0104/> Pat Dooley at
352-374-5053 or at dool...@gvillesun.com. You can listen to The Pat Dooley
Show weekdays from 4-6 p.m. on 104.9 FM. And follow at
Twitter.com/Pat_Dooley.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us