Alpha dogs? Really? Couldn’t he call them Bull Gators? Big Lizards? Anything
but dogs?

Oliver Barry CRS, GRI
Real Estate Broker
PARKS Real Estate Services
305 B Indian Lake Blvd
Suite 220
Hendersonville TN 37075
Office: 615-826-4040
Mobile: 615-972-4239
bar...@realtracs.com

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Shane Ford <goufgator...@gmail.com>
> Date: August 7, 2019 at 2:12:39 PM CDT
> To: GatorNews <gatorn...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]:  Dooley: Mullen still searching for leaders
>
> Dooley: Mullen still searching for leaders
>
> August 7, 2019
>
> Florida coach Dan Mullen at practice searching for Alpha Dogs. (Brad
> McClenny/The Gainesville Sun)
> The theme of the day at Dan Mullen’s weekly briefing for the media boys and
> girls was Dogs. Not the Bulldogs he used to coach or the Bulldogs up north he
> wants so badly to beat, but the Dogs he needs to take Florida to a different
> level.
>
> The ones he really didn’t have last year.
>
> We’re speaking of Alpha Dogs, which may feel like an overused cliche but
> certainly makes ears perk up when they are mentioned by a head coach.
>
> He wants some.
>
> As many as he can fit onto the team bus.
>
> He just doesn’t have any yet.
>
> Mullen continues to look for those Dogs, but a lot of it needs to happen
> organically. You can’t force a guy to be a leader, make him be the guy who
> does everything the right way and pulls the most stubborn players with him.
>
> “You don’t win two national championships in three years (without them),”
> Mullen said. “I mean, trust me, we had a lot of talent. But there were some
> Alpha Dogs that were making sure that the level of play was at an extremely
> high level.
>
> “There were a bunch on those teams.”
>
> He rattled off a handful of names of players at Florida, at Mississippi
> State, at Utah.
>
> The ultimate one being Tim Tebow, right?
>
> “Dak Prescott’s probably the best I’ve ever seen,” Mullen said of the Dallas
> Cowboys quarterback who played for him in Starkville.
>
> Better than Tebow, considered the ultimate leader by so many fans?
>
> “Oh yeah. I mean, Dak, to me, was the best I’ve ever seen at it,” he said.
> “But, I’ve seen — there’s been a ton. You know, you go back … You know when
> you have them.”
>
> And when you don’t.
>
> Because you’ve seen those guys standing up on benches waving towels or
> getting the crowd fired up before a kickoff only to miss an assignment and
> give up a big play.
>
> Being an Alpha Dog represents more than getting excited. It’s about doing it
> right. Not being a phony dog.
>
> “The problem when you have phony Alpha Dog-type people, eventually you’re
> gonna get exposed,” Mullen said. “The difference goes to guys that are trying
> and then guys that are phony and trying to sort those two. That can be a very
> fine line that you’re looking at, like, right (hands together) there, like,
> I’m trying, yes, but that was kinda phony. That’s the fine line that you
> always have to manage.”
>
> This all may sound confusing to you, but at the same time you get it.
>
> How many teams have you seen underachieve because there wasn’t a person (this
> [...]

(1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996), Tim Tebow (2007)