Bombay Dost - GayBombay meeting on entrapment

Date: Sunday, July 11, 2004

Time: 5 p.m.

Venue: The Humsafar Trust's Drop-in Centre, 1st floor, Vakola Municipal
Market Building, Near Vakola Masjid, Santacruz (East), Mumbai.

Closest stations: Santacruz (Western Railways) and Kurla (Central Railways).
All are welcome! Confidentiality assured. Tea will be served. Contributions
are welcome but not demanded. Space courtesy The Humsafar Trust.

This event is by Bombay Dost in assciation with GayBombay

Nitin Karani

What the meet is about (and what its not)? : To discuss the plague of blackmailers and
hustlers who are preying on the queer community. Its specifically looking at people
who try to use people's sexuality as a means of extortion. This meeting is NOT about
the rights and wrongs of sex for pay. We're only if the hustler uses the transaction
or just cruising in general as a means of picking up targets for mugging or blackmail.

What are the cases we're talking about? : The gang that hangs around Churchgate
station trying to pick up guys they can mug in the dark alleys of C & D roads. The
gang that hangs around the walls, looking for foreign gay men who they can dupe into
taking them back to their rooms where they will pretend to be policemen and try and
extort as much as they can from the foreigners. The guy who both mugged a gay man, and
then followed him home and blackmailed him for three years ultimately taking more than
one lakh rupees. The gang who beat up young gay men at Charni Road, Andheri, Bandra,
Khar and so many other places, stealing their posessions and traumatising them for
life. The gang that's now moved onto the Net, coming up with an efficient way of
trapping more young and closeted gay guys. The gang who... but you can probably fill
your own stories when you come.

Why now? : This problem has existed for years and, its been pointed out, there are
periodic outbursts of indignation from the community, and then we all subside into
apathy again. And I don't think we should underestimate the problem - its not easy
seeing what we can do in such circumstances, so we may very well end up nowhere again.
But I don't think we've ever had an open meeting where we try to involve as many
people as possible, both from within the community and people outside it, but who
might be able to help, and its worth trying.

Also, the problem seems to be on an upswing, perhaps as more blackmailers realise the
potential it offers. As homosexuality becomes more visible, and more queer people
start interacting with each other, there will also be people who want to take
advantage of this. From the stories we are hearing, its evidently very good business,
so we can expect to see more people getting in on it. There also seems increasing
evidence that members of the police might play a part.

Most recently its become clear that blackmailers have started using the Internet. In
the last week alone we have heard of two cases with the same modus operandi - contacts
made on chat, meetings fixed up to exchange porn VCDs, then when the exchange is
happening (near the Dadar station) a so-called plain clothes policeman comes and grabs
both guys and proceeds to extract as much as possible from the victim (nothing happens
to the other guy who is obviously the decoy).

Some information is available about the people involved in this and hopefully some of
the guys affected by this scam will come to the meetings, so we will have an immediate
opportunity to decide if anything can be done. At the very least, we can figure out
how to publicise cases like this to prevent other people being trapped.

Why bother? : Some people argue that these attacks mostly target closetted gay men,
and that they succeed simply because these men are too closetted to fight back. So the
solution is to come out, and anyone who doesn't deserves what they get.

The solution is probably the right one, but it would be callous to write off everyone
who can't take it. Many of the people being targetted are young and taking their first
steps into the gay world. When this happens to them, it scares them so badly that they
may never come out, even if they might have wanted to. The psychological damage can be
severe. These attacks are perhaps the most direct form of homophobia we encounter and
in that alone they are worth taking up.

There's also one other point. We are often asked by well-meaning people, why we need
to protest for gay rights. They ask, why not just be quiet and lead your lives in
private? These blackmailing attacks seem to me the best response why. The people these
attacks have happened to are often the very ones really willing to be quiet and
non-confrontational - and that is exactly why they are targetted.

And if they want to do something about it, they can't because the police - even
assuming there's no collusion on their part - would say they deserved what they got
because what they were doing was illegal in the first place. The police might even
harass them for that, forgetting that they are the injured party. More than anything
it seems to me these attacks show the need why we have to fight for decriminalising
consensual adult homosexuality, and that's why we need to record and publicise cases
like these.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the link
opens

What's hot? What's not? Where are the LGBT parties being held and when? Click here!!

http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=