All That Gays Want Is Equality
[TIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

They dare to dream... for an identity... for being able to marry and
live with those they love... for society to realise that good
parenting has nothing to do with sexual orientation... for the
workplace to be free of bias and discrimination .

Yet, all these dreams have been stifled. For, fettered by a
draconian 140-year-old law - Section 377 of the IPC —sexual
minorities in India, including homosexuals, bisexuals and trans-
gender individuals, are actually living a nightmare.

While the whole world accords societal respect to homosexuals and
endows on them all legal rights due to 21st century human beings,
India brands consensual adult love between people of the same sex as
sodomy, and punishment touches the extreme of life imprisonment.

What The Law Says

``The first step towards securing equal rights for sexual minorities
has been taken by filing a petition against Section 377 of the
IPC,'' says Vivek Diwan of Lawyers' Collective, ``Other battles will
be fought once this law is repealed.'' These battles, points out
Shaleen Rakesh of the Naz Foundation, include providing homosexuals
with the rights of domestic partnership, expatriation, inheritance
and adoption. ``As of now, not even the NHRC can do anything about
the human rights of homosexuals being violated in light of the
existing archaic law.''

 And it is this very archaic law which sees homosexual couples in
today's India being prosecuted simply because they live
together. ``As of now, gays have no rights to maintenance or
inheritance, in case one of the partners dies,'' says lawyer Aditya
Bandhopadhyay, ``Despite changes in the societal mindset, gays in
India are easy targets for criminalisation - all because the law
does not grant same-sex relations the sanctity that is their due.''

Forget marriage, adoption rights are a distant dream for homosexuals
in India. ``Here, adoption by homosexuals is disallowed the instant
sexual orientation is revealed,'' says Diwan. Any lesbian or gay
parent who has stayed up all night to soothe a sick child knows that
parenting comes from a place far more basic than sexual orientation:
it comes from the heart.

In the world far removed from the rest of the world that is India,
homosexuals face harassment at the workplace and even lose their
jobs because of their sexual orientation. ``Indian homosexuals are
rendered vulnerable to harassment at the workplace because they have
no redressal mechanism.

Facing Discrimination

Admittedly, homosexuals find acceptance in fashion, the performing
arts and call centres since face-to-face interaction with the client
is not required but, by and large, they face intense discrimination
at the workplace,'' says Rakesh. What makes this bitter truth even
tougher to swallow is the fact that, worldwide, employees are never
discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. ``Indian
law covers discrimination at the workplace, but it is silent as
regards the case of gays and lesbians,'' points out Bandhopadhyay.

Gays. Lesbians. Bisexuals. Tans-gender individuals. No rights to
marry, adopt children or even protest against discrimination at the
workplace... in fact, no right to be recognised as normal human
beings free to live life as billions of other do. All because of
sexual orientation. That is a fearful sceptre indeed for a country
where more than 10 per cent of the population is comprised by GLBTs.
Should we continue to allow this inhuman reality? That is the
question.

Our View (Indiatimes view)

Should homosexuality be legalised in India?

The answer is a definite `yes'. A society in denial of homosexuals
can only violate their fundamental rights — and does so with
alarming alacrity. Moreover, no country can exist in isolation of
the world order.

The ridiculousness of Section 377 of the IPC, which links
homosexuality to sodomy and makes such sexual orientation a
punishable offence, is magnified by the fact that gays and lesbians
across the globe enjoy the same rights as `normal' citizens. In the
new millennium, India is nothing if not a multi-lifestyle nation.

The New Age family is moving towards both married and live-in
adults, who may be hetero or homosexual with a wide variety of
offspring — step, natural or adopted children, donor-egg babies or
web-bought-sperm-fertilised ones. Also, there exists enough
documentary, archaeological and anthropological evidence to suggest
that same-sex ties were not only culturally acceptable, but also
revered in ancient India.

So, why the hypocrisy against homosexuality which, like all other
human traits, is a function of nature and nurture? At a time when
the need to revoke discriminatory laws is being increasingly felt,
the state has seemingly chosen to ignore the very existence of
homosexuality.

Such a moralistic bias against the basic rights of sexual minorities
has no defence, specially when issues which largely serve mere
political ends unduly occupy the national agenda. It is high time
Indian law actually reflected what it is supposed to stand for:
justice for all, homosexuals included.

Readers Reactions

12345678
Indiatimes Id:asthanamia
Yes, I think it whould be legalised. Sexual orientation is given at
birth like colour of skin. I feel effort should be taken to
education the common people like we are doing in case of AIDS and
other diseases. There have been some movies in the past which have
made some effort in this direction which is appreciable. However,
more efforts should be made so that common perception of
homosexuality being something wrong could be corrected.
Monday, August 16, 2004 03:13:06 pm

Indiatimes Id:sia-3
If homosexuality is allowed, which is an unsocial thing, then what
is the significance of female sex created by God?
Monday, August 16, 2004 01:09:47 pm

Indiatimes Id:warrior004
It must be legalised, for the simple reason that India is a
democratic country, a free country where each individual is free to
practise his wish. What's wrong according to one person can be right
for another. We have no right to say 'NO' to another person's
happiness.
Monday, August 16, 2004 12:57:13 pm

Indiatimes Id:sumeer075
yes
Friday, August 13, 2004 12:49:06 pm

Indiatimes Id:gopinathsarangi
homosexuality in any form should be banned .
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 05:56:29 am

Indiatimes Id:joglekar1
yes it must be legalised coz homosexuals dont choose to be what they
are
Tuesday, July 13, 2004 11:02:05 pm

Indiatimes Id:vivektewary
it should be legalised.
Sunday, May 30, 2004 09:34:34 pm

Indiatimes Id:plum_muffin
I am a gay person and I feel it would be more progressive and
helpfull for us to if homosexuality is legalised in our country.
Thank You.
Sunday, May 23, 2004 01:30:03 pm

Indiatimes Id:zyedkhan
Homosexuality in India, or for that matter all over the world should
not be legalised but should be accepted. Its part of society and one
cannot just turn a black eye on the issue but argue for it. Most of
the gay-related crimes comes from ignorance and the general
unacceptance on the issue. Its a fundamental right, and one has the
right to choose. Sexual orientation is a personal matter and should
not be justified by others ( i.e the society as a whole.) There is
nothing wrong with Homosexuality, but there is definitely wrong with
society. Lets all join our hand to fight for ACCEPTANCE... D.P.
Bangalore.
Thursday, May 20, 2004 03:09:38 pm

Indiatimes Id:haemoglobin16
Homosexuality is as natural in some people as heterosexuality is
inherent in majority of people. You don't kill or torture a person
who is mentally or physically challenged so why those who are
heterosexually challenged. Thank You!!!
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 04:03:43 pm
123456789
Indiatimes Id:p3deep
Homosexuality is an individual's choice of life. Making
homosexuality illegal is denying ones basic human right.
Tuesday, May 11, 2004 04:17:33 pm

Indiatimes Id:amitshah2000
No, India should not legalize the homosexuality. It is not natural
at all. It is nothing but mental sickness. We need to cure it, can't
let sickness spread. Thanks for allowing me to express my views.
Monday, May 10, 2004 09:38:37 pm

Indiatimes Id:manavsiin
Yes i think so. Its a matter of choice of a Individual.
Saturday, May 08, 2004 07:16:19 am

Indiatimes Id:varshashukla
No never.
Friday, May 07, 2004 09:39:31 pm

Indiatimes Id:waysevivek
No.........very strongly it should not be legalised. Because it is
the key starter of HIV history
Friday, May 07, 2004 06:24:31 pm

Indiatimes Id:pakya16
sure its a human right....everyone has their own way to live
life...it must be legalised in india
Thursday, May 06, 2004 09:59:23 am

Indiatimes Id:cmbhavsar
I dont think at this stage, homosexuality should be legalised in
india. As we have a different and unique culture and i am sure that
the hindu fundamentalist parties will oppose it. But some day it has
to be legalised which will still take a long time. I dont see much
of it spreaded in india, i think before deciding this point we
should first of all decide weather prostution should be legalised or
not.
Monday, May 03, 2004 01:18:15 pm

Indiatimes Id:beaubin
no
Sunday, May 02, 2004 10:27:51 pm

Indiatimes Id:s1u2m3i4
I agree, its cruel to outlaw homosexuality.
Tuesday, April 27, 2004 04:40:26 am

Indiatimes Id:dilbert100
of course it should be legalized.
Sunday, April 25, 2004 08:35:44 am

for more go to

http://health.indiatimes.com/opinions/msid-350167,curpg-3.cms

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the link
opens

What's hot? What's not? Where are the LGBT parties being held and when? Click here!!

http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=