http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action="">

Xenophobia in US affecting minorities: gay author:

[World News]: Chicago, Jan 30 : A well-known South Asian gay activist and author whose latest book is prescribed reading in Chicago community colleges says he has stopped reading Urdu poetry in trains and buses in the US since 9/11.

Ifti Nasim would seem to be a contradiction in more ways than one. A maverick to some, an unforgivable iconoclast to others, a gay activist both respected and reviled, and a prolific poet and author.

Nasim, who sometimes favours fur jackets and ample jewellery, is also given to making statements that outrage many.

The title of his book is unusual as are its contents. "Myrmecophile" (the term defines an insect of a foreign species that lives more or less permanently in an ant colony) is a collection of Nasim's personal and political poems.

The book is laced with humour and outrage. It is prescribed in the syllabus as an attempt by the college faculty to acquaint students with the "Islamic contribution" to modern literature.

Reactions from the students have been mixed.

"For American students, it is like a breath of fresh air. It is not what they see on television," Nasim told IANS in an interview.

"But South Asian Muslim students, even those born in the US, are indifferent," he said.

Nasim attributed this indifference to the "prejudices they have inherited from parents. They will accept what I have said from an American, but not from a fellow Muslim."

"I came here (to the US) for the freedom of choice and _expression_," Nasim said.

But the post-9/11 environment disturbs him. "There is a lot of xenophobia. What bothers me is one minority setting itself up against another minority. Even some African Americans have come out against Muslims," he said.

The prevailing atmosphere of suspicion has affected Nasim's life in unexpected ways.

"Earlier, I used to read in buses or gardens. Now, I don't. Some idiot seeing me read an Urdu book may think I am studying a terrorist's manual," he said.

"There is so much anti-Muslim propaganda over radio and television, it has a ripple effect on the ethnic community," Nasim said. He blamed the situation partly on Muslims.

"Muslims have taken their freedom for granted. They should come out and say terrorism is wrong. The Muslim clerics are quiet. I don't know why," he said.

Being gay and a Muslim is a 'double whammy' so to speak. "If you are a Muslim and gay, you are a minority within a minority," Nasim said.

Despite the consternation he has created within the community, Nasim is unrepentant.

"What is a passionate Muslim?" he asked. "Does it mean only going to the mosque or reading the Koran five times a day? I am passionate about human causes. They can belong to any religion. When you stand up for one, you stand up for everyone."

As a writer, Nasim strives to be above sectarian issues. "It bothers me to see discrimination and mindless hatred. It is very important for me to have a cause. But hatred is not a cause," he said.

Old Hindi movies are a passion. "I am the hopeless romantic. What I like about (old) black and white Hindi films is that love stopped at the navel. They inspire me to write," he said.

Dispelling ignorance about gays remains a life-long mission. "Gay children will stand by their parents the rest of their lives, no matter how badly the parents must have hurt them."

Nasim is not quite in favour of gay marriage.

"Gays are better off being partners. They should not copy straight people," he said, adding, tongue firmly in cheek: "Why should they get married anyway? They have seen enough suffering without it."

--Indo-Asian News Service

www.gaybombay.info

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages (by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to: http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Contact Us:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archives are at http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html