C K Prahlad is very well know personality in Corporate America with his work in
Corporate strategy and leadership. I have read some of his articles on the same
topic that you have mentioned Smartie in my MBA class and he makes really great
arguments about serving the world's poor profitably. I would highly recommend
his reading.

Cheers,
Sameer

Smarter boy Boy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi All

A book given to me as gift was fascinating in its theory and the possibilities
it unfolds. Dr C K Prahalad's  "Fortune at the bottom of the pyramid". He tries
to argue that the vast populace in the underdeveloped world is a huge market
potential to multinationals also provided they innovate and come out with
products and processes which provide value at the price these markets can
afford. He argues that this is possible and quotes the live examples of such
experiments and successful ones in India and South America mainly Brazil. As he
is arguing for multinationals to enter and gain from this market he gives
prominence to examples of HLL and ITC - Wheel detergent, sachets and e-choupal
of ITC (to make the farmer know the market for his produce before venturing out
to sell). ICICI bank's ability to project itself has made their Self Help Group
effort borrowed from Bank of Madura and developed essentially to achieve
prority sector targets as a "pioneering effort" on micro financing
 while the credit for that lies in Bangladesh and later in NABARD for copying
it. SBI has more SHGs than ICICI but as he is concentrating on private sector
attempt at poverty alleviation it does not matter. What I felt bad about the
whole exercise was not giving as much prominence to the Amul experiment as it
deserves especially when it literally transformed the fortunes of the nation
through its milk revolution. Again co-operatives are not multinationals. But
what is commendable about the book is the writing style and the arguments to
make MNCs see this as a great busines opportunity with the help of NGOs by
building up  new markets altogether and then emulating that experience
elsewhere to create newer ones. Will be of interest to Jagan and others who are
into microfinancing in a big way to get private sector initiatives into this
vast area which will also make political sense and not cause characters like
Chandrababu Naidu to be sidelined as urban biased before they could take
 forward the e revolution to rural areas in a big way. Happy Reading.The case
studies portion is yet to be read. The book also carries CD on some case
studies. A brand new experience for me who is accustomed to old time academics.

Smartie

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Archives are at