I sat beside hijras two years ago during the International Lesbian and
Gay Association (ILGA-Asia) meeting in Mumbai.

I think they were cool, in fairness to them. Some of them I think
thought it nice that I sat so close to them and I didnt show any sign
of being upset or uncomfy. But that doesn't make me a better person.

Here in Manila, gay males generally dislike the equivalent "bakla"
and the more outspoken internet gays always make some unkind remarks
about being associated with these effeminates when they volunteer some
outrageous things on TV.

In my humble opinion, I guess gays should be more aggressive in
pushing gay male images on television if we want people to
stop thinking of role-playing and other stereotypes. Sadly, whenever
I go around asking gay couples to face the cameras, everyone freaks out.

So I am left with no option but to ask my bakla friends, some with
breast augmentation surgery-enhanced boobs, to spill all out on
national television.

And life goes on...

Cheers,

Oscar
www.geocities.com/progayphilippines.

gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>Mr. Clayton,
>
>I don't know too much about Hijras. But I'll try to answer your
>queries. It cannot be that they picked up my sexual orientation in the
>train. Therefore, it is a coincidence or the fact that I'm almost
>boyish in looks which made them pick out me from the crowd.
>
>Hijras going down in numbers is an alien concept with me. I cannot
>help you out with this.
>
>About role-playing; let me just make you aware of that in India. There
>is a famous lesbian couple in Kerala who often get featured in
>mainstream media. They engage in role-playing. Popular entertainment
>also pokes at us LGBTs by showing extremely feminine features and
>behaviour in gays and vice versa in lesbians.
>
>But still, I don't think that an average gay/lesbian person is
>interested in this. Therefore I agree with the fact that if Hijras don
>roles, then they cannot be classified under regular gays/lesbians.
>
>Cheers
>
>Kris
>--
>"Remember that if men were not meant to be sucked, their bodies
>wouldn't have come with a nozzle!" - A Gay

_______________________________________
EDSAMAIL. Internet the way YOU WANT IT.
www.edsamail.com.ph

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4F6XtA/_WnJAA/E2hLAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Archives are at