http://www.pressconnects.com/today/news/stories/ne061205s172047.shtml

Gay-friendly shops will fare the best
BY DOUG SCHNEIDER AND JEFF PLATSKY
Press & Sun-Bulletin

Marketing to gay consumers can boost income for savvy businesses, but
reaching the "gay market" in a conservative community can pose
particular challenges.

Some sectors of the business and retail community value the gay
market, looking at a potential demographic that generally has more
disposable income than the overall community, said Subimal Chatterjee,
a Binghamton University marketing professor who studies consumer
behavior.

"Gays and lesbians have been a segment that marketers have looked at
very, very carefully because the amount of money they are willing to
spend," Chatterjee said.

A recent study concluded that people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or
transgender (GLBT) will spend about $610 billion nationwide in a year,
said Michael McFall, president of the 576-member Greater Phoenix Gay &
Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

"We embrace people who support us, and we're more likely to do
business with them," McFall said. Business owners who want to reach
the community, he said, should become involved with gay-friendly
groups or causes. "Learn our community and how to treat us."

Yet that isn't always easy in a conservative community like Greater
Binghamton. Chatterjee said some businesses are careful about how they
market their services to the gay community for fear of offending the
nongay audience.

Chatterjee said businesses looking to reach GLBT customers often
sponsor gay-friendly events or advertise in publications for gay
people.

One such business is Tom's Coffee, Cards & Gifts, which has operated
for 23 years on Main Street on Binghamton's West Side. Gay customers
"make up a tremendous part of our business, and we like that very
much," said owner Tom Kelleher, 49. "We specifically market to the gay
community so that people feel comfortable coming into our store."

Tom's advertises in publications targeting the gay community, and
donates items to gay-run fundraisers, Kelleher said.

Advertising strategies used in so-called "gay-friendly" cities like
San Francisco may be more overt than the ones employed in Binghamton
and other more conservative towns, Chatterjee said.

"If you operate in a community that is very conservative, there might
be a backlash," from customers who may take offense at a business'
attempt to lure gay customers, Chatterjee said. Several gay and
lesbian business owners, for example, declined comment for these
stories out of fear that doing so would hurt business.

Businesses who try to reach the GLBT community, McFall said, need to
recognize that some efforts can offend gay people.

"Don't say 'I support the alternative lifestyle,' because to us, it's
not an alternative," he said. "Before you ask us for our money, get to
know us a little."

Kelleher, who is not gay, said Greater Binghamton would have more
businesses that welcome gay customers if store-owners simply
"recognized the potential."

"Lots of heterosexual people," he said, "just don't recognize that
there is a gay community out there."

--
www.gaybombay.info

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Archives are at