Wanted: Caring Parents - The Times of India
Same sex, we say. Calcutta Times gives the egg and sperm race a wide berth.

Rajarshi Chakrabarty, a professor, is contemplating adoption of a girl child. He has broached the topic to his partner and they will go ahead with the plan once they start living together. Well, here comes the catch. Rajarshi is gay and this seems to pose a hurdle in the otherwise noble plan.

Sanjib Chakraborty, is the project coordinator of an NGO that works with such people. He reveals that many such couples have shown interest in adoption but are wary about the society's treatment to the issue.

"I have not approached any adoption centre because my partner is not very open about the 'gay' fact. Even if we do go ahead with the plan, may be one of us would approach the organisation as a single parent," Rajarshi thoughtfully says.

But why this taboo against same sex couples? Chakraborty hints at the fear of Section 377 saying, "Same sex marriage might have become common abroad but people here still have conservative notions about homosexuals." Speaking of weird reasons against same sex adoptions, people think that homosexuals are paedophiles.

"You can't blame people for thinking so. May be we ourselves are not very comfortable with ourselves. Why else do we try to hide our sexuality?" reasons Rajarshi who has realised that being open about the matter helps remove stigma attached to such cases
Professor Bula Bhadra who is the head of the department of sociology, Calcutta University, couldn't agree more. "We tend to biologise things. After all, rearing a child has to do with parenting.

Nowhere is it mentioned that biological parents would also prove to be the best parents." Though there is no law in favour of same sex adoption, Bhadra feels that it should be legalised. "We don't object to two sisters bringing up a child. So why should there be a problem now?" she asks.

The problem seems to lie elsewhere. "We are not sure what the child will feel when she sees that others have a mom and a dad for parents. And will this not affect her psychologically?" Rajarshi quips.

Bula, however, feels that the child should be told of the equation before she reaches puberty. It is about the right kind of parenting she stresses.

Sociologist Samit Kar too believes in a positive approach. "What is acceptable today becomes outdated tomorrow. Who knows same sex adoption might also become acceptable someday," he concludes.

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages (by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Contact Us:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]