Hi there,

Here's another small story I wrote some time back. Feedback is most
welcome.

"I had never been to a private gay gathering ever. My friend Rajit
invited me to his birthday bash at his boyfriend's 24th floor
apartment in Mahalaxmi. "There will be quite a few interesting guys",
he'd promised me. From day one I was pretty excited about it.

My initiation into the Gay life of Bombay had been last year, courtesy
Rajit. We had a fling of sorts. I was a virgin from up North and he
was a veteran mourning his last break-up and looking for newer
pastures. I made a good lay for him, but was not boyfriend material.
First of all I was too awkward most of the times; I knew more than him
about most things; our age difference of almost 9 years, my "no anals"
stand; so many things. But we remained in touch and he assumed the
role of my guide and teacher. Lately, he had gotten too busy with his
new love and we were meeting for the first time in almost two months time.

After Rajit I met a couple of other guys. My dating scene has always
been sparsely populated. No one clicked to me and I clicked to no one.
There was one guy who seemed to be besotted with me, but he had a wife
and a girlfriend in the office. I didn't see him having much time for
me. So, cutting a long story short, this invitation was a major
highlight of my gay life till then. I was too chicken to go to GB
parties and similar gatherings and was becoming more and more wary of
meeting people over the net. So, the prospect of a peaceful party with
a few friendly guys was almost like a dream.

I prepared hard for the day. One week before the event I had my hair
done at Juice. Selected a nice Sherwani style white shirt by
Raghvendra Rathod and beige Rohit Bal slacks I had picked from Delhi
last year. I decided against colored contact lenses but got myself
nice shades. I attended a couple of Kaya skin sessions to get that
glowing skin they keep advertising about. I increased my time on the
treadmills and started running up and down stairs in my building.

Rajit's boyfriend Ehsaan works with a foreign bank as Investment
Banker and I was expecting a lot of suitable guys to be present at the
party. I rehearsed my answers to some imaginary interesting questions
asked by devastatingly handsome guys. I smiled and basked in the glory
of my smart rejoinders to snide remarks from jealous guys. I prepared
myself for situations like an interesting guy asking me out and
another where someone undesirable asks me out. As each day passed I
started feeling more and more confident about my imminent victory over
the gathering. I could vividly see myself sitting on a couch
surrounded by all; Rajit & Ehsaan standing in the corner of their
terrace and marveling at my success. Hmm…

On Friday, two days before the big day, I was all ready and daring to
bare myself. Each minute, each hour was taking an eternity to pass.
Girish, my next cubicle neighbor at work had noticed the change in me
and kept giving me meaningful stares which left me confused every time
it happened. I call him Garish. He is absolutely flamboyant.
Heartthrob of the office. For the first few weeks after joining this
office I was totally infatuated with him. Then I used to think "this
is love". I grew out of it in good time. Just last month somebody
clicked him tonguing an intern and forwarded the clip to everyone in
the office. It grossed me even more. Nobody knows who started it, but
everyone had a role to play in it. I received it from 4 different
people in the office. The girl in question, a summer trainee looked a
beautiful shade of pink throughout the next week; she seemed to be
enjoying the attention. Girish on the other hand remained unfazed by
it. If anything, he became more open with his flirtatious intents.

I am going off track. So, this strange behavior of Girish was
bothering me. I have been on less than friendly terms with him.
Earlier in my infatuation days I was never able to look him in the
eyes and hardly ever spoke more than three words at a time to him.
Once I grew out of the infatuation, I kept my distance, as all of a
sudden he had become all those things I didn't want in my boyfriend. I
hated the way he used to steal the show from under everyone's nose.
Once at one of the meetings, when I had presented my proposal for the
new product launch, he cracked some joke at my expense and everyone
was double with laughter and I was left seething.

That day, in the evening, before leaving the office he came to my
cubicle, and asked me if I had a hot date for the weekend. I took 30
seconds to debate in my mind whether or not I should say yes. I
finally managed to mumble a meek yes. He laughed aloud and wished me
luck. Luck my ass! Like I wouldn't survive a date without his
blessings. I had another of those feelings of absolute hatred for him.

That night I called Rajit to find out how many guys were coming but he
was on voicemail. Rajit on voicemail means only one thing – he is
having sex. Otherwise, he and his mobile are almost inseparable and he
answers all calls at all times.

Saturday was turning out to be a very bad day for me. I am simply not
good at waiting. Nothing could keep my mind occupied for more than a
few seconds. Now, the fear of the unknown was beginning to replace the
excitement & the butterflies in my stomach were growing bigger and
bigger. My rejoinders started falling flat in my imaginary spats. I
started stumbling upon the rugs and falling in the curry bowl that was
large enough for me to drown in it. I started stuttering while
rendering a joke. My clothes started looking out of place, out of
style to me. Everything was falling apart. My imagination that had
made me so happy till a few days ago started making me mad.

By next morning I was a total wreck. I reached Ehsaan's building dot
on time. 11.30 am. But that was it. I was unable to move any further.
I kept imagining nice looking, suave and interesting people having a
nice time. I spent 40 minutes circling the building and waiting under
the tree across the complex. Finally, I decided to make a move.

I pressed the call bell and the door was opened by Ehsaan. He hugged
and led me towards the living room. There were some two dozen people
scattered over the living room area and the adjoining terrace. Rajit
came forward and hugged me tightly. I started feeling a little better
but I didn't see myself doing all those antics I thought of throughout
the week.

I took to a corner where a bean bag lay empty. There were all sorts of
guys. A couple of old acquaintances, people I had met while I was with
Rajit, came forward and we talked for a few minutes; then I let them
drift away by not offering more than two syllables in answer to their
queries. A guy of around 40 years of age sat on the other bean bag
across from me. He kept giving me the "I have an eye on you" look. I
couldn't help but look at him; he was dressed in a shocking pink kurta
and chudidaar pajamas. He sat like some "Johrabai" watching her
protégé perform before the nawabs. Funny way to sit. There were a
couple of teenagers, who were busy amongst themselves. One of them
kept throwing glances at me and I flattered myself. A little later I
went to the dining where different snacks were laid and picked a
couple of mutton chops and returned to my place – to find that very
same teenager who was eyeing me was now sprawled on the couch.

I drifted towards the terrace. There was a group of middle-aged guys
which was discussing the GB party on last Friday. Apparently none got
a partner for the night and were quite disappointed and blamed it all
on the superfluous & shallow ways of the young ones. "These kids, they
are very shallow, all they want is a good looking face and fit body;
character and intelligence means nothing to them" and similar
lamentations. I moved towards another group which was discussing KY
Jelly. All three of them wanted to experiment with it, but were too
afraid to go to a medical shop and ask for it. Rajit was in a heated
discussion with another guy. They seemed to be discussing Paheli as
India's entry to the Oscars.

All of a sudden I became as stiff as a pole. I heard a familiar
laughter and rushed towards the living room. The scene inside was the
same. The guy in Pink Kurta was now standing near the large window and
was staring out. He stood like the "virahini" looking for her lover.
Funny way to stand. But I couldn't fix the laughter on to someone. I
blamed it on my confused and nervous senses.

The cigarette smoke started getting to me. The living room was bad,
the terrace was not much better. I moved towards the inside of the
apartment. I tried one door and found it locked from inside. Tried
another door and it opened. On the other end was another door that
opened on to a balcony and the door was open. I rushed towards it. The
view was breathtaking. Then something else happened that took my
breath and my life away.

He made his presence known to me by calling my name "Prithvi". I was
stunned; unable to speak I turned and saw that smile I have seen so
many times. Garish was giving his most brilliant smile. He was
grinning. He was actually gloating and I was giving him enough
reasons. He must have known all this time that I was coming to this
party because there was nothing on his face that could be mistaken for
surprise. I on the other hand was unable to think or react. I
stuttered a measly "Hi". He came forward and shook my hand warmly and
then almost killed me when he bent forward and left a light peck on my
cheek.

Today when I look at that day, I can't help smiling. Girish is an ex
of Ehsaan. They dated during their management degree. One day when the
party was being discussed and the invitee list being prepared, Girish
was there helping Ehsaan & Rajit as he was in charge of arranging the
caterer. That is when he came across my name and confirmed with Rajit
about my identity. He then extracted a promise from Rajit that he
would keep quiet about it. The knowledge of me being a gay painted an
entirely different picture of me in his mind. He started paying
attention to me. And that day at the party when he was debating with
himself on the balcony about how to meet me, I walked in on him. He
asked me out and the rest as they say is history."

Best regards,

Digest Mode:- [EMAIL PROTECTED] (attachments are removed in the digest mode.
You get one or two  digest mails  per day containing all emails, minus
pictures/attachments)

Rss feed: http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com/maillist.xml

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html