from THE TIMESONLINE
  23RD NOVEMBER 2006

  Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Men only
The subject of gay, men-only parties has been taken up by both Anthony and
Adrian. Both point out the foolishness of going to one when you´re in a
monogamous relationship. Wise words.

  And true enough, while I can´t think of anything worse, I can see how for
many people a gay men-only party might add up to what, in my Catholic days, I
learned to call a ´dangerous occasion of sin´. In other words, a situation
where, while it might not say ´sin´ on the can, in big bold letters, a thorough
reading of the small-print would reveal hidden dangers.

  Life is full of ´dangerous occasions´- and we face them every day, from the
´just one quick drink´at the start of the evening through to óne for the
road´at the end. Moments which, while innocent in themselves, can easily lead
to other things. Moments which we either avoid altogether or approach with our
eyes open.

  But that´s not my problem with men-only parties, or with the full-on, 100 per
cent gay party scene I encountered in the States. Far from being a temptation,
my problem was that I always thought that a completely gay party was a
completely dull party, a party I didn´t want to go to, a party which had failed
in the core business of a party, which for me has always been about a mix of
people.

  Sex is one thing... parties another.

  True, I am in a monogamous relationship now, but that´s not the point. I can
still understand how, if you´re looking to get your leg over, so to speak,
anyone who doesn´t fit the bill, because they´re a straight boy or a straight
girl or a lesbian, might seem simply a distraction.

  But I don´t think that´s what a party is about. And evenings which are about
picking up - from straight pick-up wine bars in South Kensington, through to a
gay leather bar in Vauxhall - are just not that much fun, surely?

  Posted by James Collard on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 at 21:38

Sponsored Link

$420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month -   Think You Pay Too Much For Your
Mortgage? Find Out!