Probe strengthens link between gay sex, killings

Special Investigation Team Believed Case Was Cracked With Detention Of
Suspect, But Latest Murder Proved Them Wrong

S Ahmed Ali & Mateen Hafeez | TNN

Mumbai: The Special Investigating Team (SIT) is becoming more convinced that
the clues in the seven recent murders being investigated point to a serial
killer on the loose and that most of the victims were involved in homosexual
activity before being killed.
  For some time on Wednesday, the SIT thought they had cracked the case
after they nabbed a suspect. But the discovery of the seventh body on
Thursday shattered this belief.
  Sources said that on Tuesday night the SIT had picked up a suspect in his
30s while he was loitering near the Churchgate area in a suspicious manner.
From his appearance and interrogation, the police believed he was behind the
series of mysterious killings. "Our joy was shortlived as another body was
found on the foot-overbridge. We have ruled out the possibility of this
person's involvement,'' said a senior officer on condition of anonymity.
  When asked if they had any concrete leads, a top officer said, "There is
no progress since we are getting clues on a daily basis. We cannot say when
we will crack the case.''
  The body of the latest victim was found on the Marine Lines
foot-overbridge on Thursday. The post-mortem report has revealed passive
homosexual activity. TOI had reported on Friday that there was a homosexual
angle to the crimes. The report had also stated that most of the victims had
sex prior to being murdered.
  Confirming this, joint commissioner of police (law and order) Arup
Patnaik said, "The post-mortem report says that the man found murdered on
Thursday was a passive homosexual. Our men are exploring the homosexuality
angle. Two bodies were found in a highly decomposed state and, therefore, we
could not get a clear report of whether they were passive homosexuals too.''

  The latest murder has given the police a small clue—the killer's
footprints soaked in blood on the foot-overbridge. The 35-year-old,
well-built victim had mutliple stab wounds on his chest, right hand, wrist,
arms and even on thethighs. "The deceased must have put up a fight, but he
was overpowered by the killer,'' Patnaik added.
  When asked if the police were still treating all the cases as separate
incidents or probing them as the handiwork of a serial killer, Patnaik said,
"We presume it is a serial killing.''
  All the 80 police personnel who are part of the SIT were called to the
police headquarters on Friday afternoon for fresh instructions. Sources said
some of these men would possibly move around in disguise and even infiltrate
groups of pavement dwellers.
  The police have compiled a list of missing persons and are trying to
check if any of them are among the deceased. However, none of the missing
persons' photos have matched with those of the victims.

KILLER ON THE LOOSE: The foot-overbridge where the body of the latest
victim was found

--
www.gaybombay.in
www.gaybombay.info