*
Indian writers bring back sex
Hindol Sengupta
CNN-IBN

Posted Saturday , February 24, 2007 at 10:42

Mumbai:* Indian authors write about complex themes in their works but can
they tackle sex. Kitab Festival, a three three-day international literature
meeting in Mumbai, debated the question on Friday.

"There are some Indian writers who write atrociously about sex. They put me
to sleep, instead of arousing me and then there are others who do a
brilliant job," says Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi, author of *The Last Song
of Dusk*.

Indian writing on sex has swung from one to end to another: from the *
Kamasutra* to repression and then switching to Shangvi openly discussing
homosexuality and group sex and Shobhaa De writing raunchy novels.

The *Kamasutra* is still India's best-selling book on sex, but new writing
is beginning to find a voice in the market. In fact, Raja Rao's new book *
Boyfriend* talks about the intricacies of gay love.

"Same sex love in India has to be written differently. It cannot be
prudish," says Rao.

"I don't think that as a nation we are ready to accept modern sexual content
written in a contemporary way. What we are comfortable with is something
that is in the past—something distant from us," says De.

--
www.gaybombay.in
www.gaybombay.info