I remember the ad. There was a lesbian equivalent as well. I think
the brand name was Chelsea Jeans.

--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, Yabadabadoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hmmm, sometime in the 90's we had a brand of jeans or denims break
that barrier in a not-so-subtle kind of way. i forget which brand it
was, but i do remember the visual, where we had two muscled (read
long haired, rock music maniac, swarthy macho) men, one with his back
to the viewer, and one facing us with the look that defied any
perceptions of the GAY man in India at that time (which was still not
very different from the pinkoo character played by Anupam Kher in a
cheese flick early on in the decade). Does anyone one know about it?
it was a series of ads, of which one was this. i don't know if it
created a furore in the moral sections of the society, but at least
it had the i don't give a f$%& what you think! would love to get a
copy of that ad.

> Vikram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          Yet another non-story created
primarily out of a desire to fill space
> and look cool by taking a gay angle. Still this is marginally
better
> done than some of the others that have appeared recently.
>
> Like the HT story (front page lead!) which tried to interpret the
> Motorola ad with the Dolce and Gabbana endorsement as evidence that
> Motorola was advertising to gays in India (would have loved to be
in
> the Motorola office when that came out!). Followed by another in HT
> about how St.Petersburg was now the Indian gay holiday destination
of
> choice. I know quite a few rich gay guys, but they're more likely
> go to Panjim than St.Petersburg!
>
> This story at least speaks to a few people and explores the issue
of
> gay imagery in Indian ads - though the writer misses out on several
> old ones, like some print ads with explicit gay angles, mostly
> intended to shock, a Chlorets ad which I think is now on
> corporateclosets.com or that Onida (?) ad with a trans character.
And
> the story does seem to acknowledge that the situation is a sad one
> which should change as attitudes change in India.
>
> On the whole, as a gay man, I'm glad to see such stories which talk
> about gay issues in India in generally positive terms, however
much,
> as a journalist, I might deplore their essential vacuousness. And
DNA
> carried the story well, giving it large space and a decent layout.
> Also particular thanks to the writer for not using 'pink rupee', a
> term that particularly makes me want to throw up!
>
> Vikram
>
> Brands stray off the straight path...
> Sumita Vaid Dixit
> Friday, March 02, 2007 23:53 IST
>
> http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1082761
>
> ...Some of them are coming out of the closet.
>

> Have you seen an Orangee ad? The Parle candy makes men, women and
> kids pucker their lips as they suck the liquid. In one ad, two men
> are shown peeing, and one of them begins to pucker his lips,
> suggesting a certain kind of behaviour. However, it is the candy
that
> compels people to pucker as the tag line suggests `Choos ke khao'.
> Then there's a suiting ad, where a dude congratulates his pal at
his
> wedding and runs his fingers suggestively down his suiting-clad
back.

> Tired of being straight?'' asks an ad from a Fructis hair styling
> product. Snap to two blonde girls looking suggestively at each
other,
> spiked hair in place. Worldwide, a `Mechanics' spot for Snickers
bar
> shows two mechanics eating opposite ends of the bar till their lips
> meet and they break apart
>
> Buckle up for what is viewed as homosexual behaviour, alternative
> sexuality, etc in communications. It hardly raises an eyebrow
> overseas, but could stir some excitement here.
>
> Then there's another ad for Parle Xhale which runs on the lines of
> adult mintÂ…
>
> Samarjeet Shimpi, associate vice-president, Triton Communications,
> says that the ad for Xhale was conceived from the perspective that
> the Xhale mint charms people. We see all the members of the girls
> family rubbing against the boy's toes under the table; it suggests
> an emotion that goes beyond the bounds of charm.
>
> The father who is authoritarian figure, in the end gives the boy a
> certain look that borders on alternate sexual behaviour. Shimpi
> clarifies again that the team had not set off on that intention,
> however, over several drafts and retakes, the storyline evolved.
The
> ad was researched and no one found the ad objectionable. For that
> matter Parle had no apprehensions running the ad considering the ad
> touched upon a sensitive subject, though in a light manner.
>
> Far from it, the ad got a few laughs. As a matter of fact, this is
> the best ads can do with alternate sexuality in ads - get laughs.
> Shimpi says that at the moment, a bold subject such as
homosexuality
> could be dealt with in storylines to the point of humour. Overstep
> that and one would be in a dangerous territory. No wonder,
> homosexuality rarely finds expression in mainstream media. The
> fashion industry seems to be the only community to have accepted
it,
> but otherwise, the subject and its expression remain largely
tabooed.

> The reason for this is essentially closed Indian society. "It is
> still conservative, and to talk about homosexuality needs great
> courage. Perhaps the next generation may be more open to talking
> about such matters," says Sagar Mahabaleshwarkar, creative
director,
> Ogilvy & Mather.
>
> Just as much such subjects are little talked about in public
forums,
> storylines or plots with gay or lesbians couples are hardly seen in
> Indian ads. "You can't force fit an ideology into an ad. That would
> be false, and most probably result in awful advertising. But, I
think
> if an idea organically needs someone who is gay or lesbian or needs
> to touch on that universe, then it should," says Zubin Driver,
> network creative director, TV18 Group.
>
> In fact, if the creative people do not use such a situation it is
> because ads merely reflect what happens in society. "New cultural
> norms are not really created by ads, they merely reflect them. Some
> of the best ads may articulate a cultural trend just before it
> emerges. The Liril girl bathing in a bikini was a great hit amongst
> Indian women in the 70s because it articulated an unspoken intent
> of `self-revelation', of getting rid of `mental constrictions',"
> observes Driver.
>
> Driver's point is when we as a society begin to accept alternative
> sexuality, ads will start reflecting it. "It's a matter of cultural
> evolution."
>
> Part of the worry would be how to portray the gay community. In
> films, they are either lampooned or caricatured
>
> If a change has to be brought in how the gay community is
perceived,
> Bollywood is a better medium says Mahabaleshwarkar. Advertising
> reinforces an idea, it does not challenge. Fire by Deepa Mehta was
> brave attempt which was met with protests from some quarters. Then
> there was Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna which made divorce a
> subject of national debate.
>
> Perhaps a crisis will bring the subject of homosexuality to the
fore,
> says Driver. Much in the way the nation became obsessed with racism
> when Shilpa Shetty became a target of racist attack at the
Celebrity
> Big Brother show.
>
> But the greater part of the worry is that marketers shy away from
> controversial subjects such as homosexuality. When there will be
> products or services targeting this community, there is bound to be
> advertising targeting the gay community says Mahabaleshwarkar.
>
> In the West, marketers work with agencies to create ads targeting
the
> gay community. Ikea, the Swedish home furnishing retailer, has been
> making worldwide news since 1994 when its commercial featured a
male
> couple buying furniture together. Recently, Ikea launched an ad
with
> another gay pair, this time with a child. Back then in 1994, even
> executives at Ikea had wondered if the gay ad was `over the top'.
> Now, of course the company has a history of using gay and
transgender
> themes in its advertising.
>
> US based online-booking site Orbitz, a couple of months ago had
> rolled out a gay-specific commercial featuring a female couple.
What
> more, Orbitz has a dedicated lesbian travel page on its site.
>
> To expect Indian marketers to do the same is to cry for the moon.
> Till marketers come out with products that exclusively target the
gay
> community, there is a slim possibility they would take up such
> situations.
>
> And Parle makes no bones about it. "We feel that this will take
quite
> a while to come to that stage in India, " says PV Kulkarnii,
general
> manager, Parle Products.
>
> A noticeable international trend is advertisers using gay and
lesbian
> celebrities aimed not at the homosexual market but at a wider
> general audience.
>
> Examples of such advertisers include American Express, Audi,
Cartier,
> Chili's, Diageo, Marshall Field's, General Motors, Target,
Volkswagen
> and Wrigley have. Though the fact remains that many rely on humour
> deal with a subject that was once taboo.
>
> In India, one of the few gays who could be called a celebrity is
> Bobby Darling alias Pankaj Sharma, who cameoed in Big Brother.
> Darling has appeared in several serials and films. Sure, Darling
may
> be one homegrown symbol of alternate sexuality, but then which
> marketer would come forward to sign up Darling?
>
> Perhaps this question too will find its answer in the coming times.
>
> Alternative ads
>
> A magazine ad for MGM Mirage's New York hotel in Las Vegas showed
two
> men in bed under the headline: "Luck Isn't Always A Lady."
>
> An Intel ad has a woman sitting on another's lap, with the
> caption: "For incredible movie experiences in your lap, get Intel
> Centrino in your laptop."
>
> A spot for Subaru says, "Some people think there should only be one
> road in life...but in reality every driver is different...and the
> redesigned 2006 Subaru Forester...is built for all of
> them...whichever way you go."
>
> A TV spot for Ikea shows a smiling gay male couple and their
> daughter, leaning on a couch, and asks, "Why shouldn't sofas come
in
> flavours, just like families?"

>  New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and
win prizes.