>GB Meet on Blackmail and Extortion on Sunday, May 13th, 2007 at
Zouk<

Venue: Zouk, Hotel Imperial Palace, Telli Galli, Andheri (East);
Mumbai 400069. Time: 4 pm to 7 pm. Entry: Free.

There's one line of argument about being gay in India, which is that
it's no big deal. Sure it's illegal, but it's not prosecuted. Gay men
face problems from their family, but not from the government - the
existence of sites like GB itself is evidence of that. So why bother
protesting S.377. You're not going to get arrested. Its not going to
be a problem. Lets party.

This is bullshit.

It's bullshit for one simple reason: Blackmail.

You've read the stories of it happening on these lists. You've heard
of it happening to friends. Perhaps it's even happened to you.
Blackmail of gay men, with all the physical and mental violence that
goes with it, is one of the biggest human rights issue that gay men
in
India face. And it involves S.377 because the threat of it's use is
what gives blackmailers their power - especially those meant to
implement it, the police, are often the blackmailers themselves.

Does this mean we're helpless? No. Blackmail works because it assumes
you are helpless and won't dare or don't know how to stand up for
yourself. But if we share our experiences, learn from each other,
learn how to be there for each other, learn how the police works and
how to deal with them, learn how to use the media, other activists,
friends we stand a good chance of dealing with this menace.
Blackmailers think we are weak, and alone perhaps we are. But
together
we aren't.

We started this attempt to combine our energies to fight blackmail
with a meeting at Humsafar sometime back that Nitin Karani had helped
us organise. We're now taking this forward with a meeting at Zouk on
Sunday, May 13th, from 4-7 pm. At this meeting we'll be asking people
who have been blackmailed to share their stories. We'll be hearing
from people who have managed to fight back. We'll get legal advice on
what can be done. Alok will share from his work of documenting
blackmail stories from across the country which will show how wide
ranging the problem is.

Will all this solve the problem? Almost definitely not. Something so
deep rooted (and so lucrative for the police) is not going to go away
overnight. But a meeting like this is one step towards helping us
cope
with the problem. After the last meeting at Humsafar there have been
many more stories about blackmail - but also more stores, just a few,
but more and more, of people who fought back. They weren't
intimidated, they knew their rights and they refused to be
victimised. And in at least some of these cases we've been told that
it was because of past discussions and initiatives on blackmail that
they knew they didn't have to give in.

So don't come on the 13th expecting instant solutions. Come to share
your stories, share tactics, share information, share support and
share in an effort to stop gay men being blackmailed in Bombay.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Directions: Hotel Imperial Palace is a 5 minute walk from Andheri
station on the East side. Walk up the Andheri Kurla Road (towards the
Highway) and turn right into Telli Galli. It's the 3rd building on
your right.

But if you're driving and taking the Andheri flyover, from West to
East, make a left turn at the signal at the end of the flyover. Or if
you're driving on the highway make a left turn at the Andheri flyover
road and a right turn at the signal before the flyover. This is Telli
Galli. Almost towards the end of this road, close to Andheri Kurla
Road (perpendicular to Telli Galli), is Hotel Imperial Palace, on
your left.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
SOME DON'TS:
`GB, as a support group, has created this comfort/safe space for
gays. Many people at the event may be "newbies" (those still coming
to terms with their sexuality and/or those who have mustered the
courage to come to such an event for the first time). We request you
to be sensitive to the comfort levels of others and to behave and
dress accordingly.
`No dark rooms; if found indulging in any "hanky panky" you will be
asked to leave the event.

This event is organized by: http://www.gaybombay.org
You have to be above the age of 18 to attend the event.
Right of admission reserved.