Hey Vikram,
You can count me in for sure... When it comes to movies and bollywood
especially, I am all up for GRABs... lemme know what it would involve...
cheers,
Praful

On 5/22/07, Vikram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  Did anyone see Good Boy, Bad Boy? I know Tussshar Kapoor was a draw,
but the reviews of this film were so horrenduous - even the actors
seemed to be pissed off at it - that I wouldn't be surprised if not a
single gay boy went to see it.

Which might be a pity only because of this visual:

http://www.indiafm.com/movies/mstills/12733/still18052.html

I just saw this still reproduced in a paper and couldn't believe it.
Is Emraan Hashmi really standing at the head of a students' rally
with a big sign below him saying "Being Gay Is No..." Actually I
don't know what the sign says because its been cropped in the visual
and I haven't seen the film, but it does sound like its going to be
something positive like "No Crime". Can anyone who has seen the film -
or anyone brave enough to go and see it now - fill us in on what the
sign says?

OK, I know that even if it is positive, it doesn't mean that Emraan
really believed in this big time (I can't remember even a single
comment he's ever made on gays) and the chances are the producers
just threw it in because they think it sounded cool and radical and
eye catching and at this point in the film they were probably
desperate to try anything. All the other signs around are about
different things, so its hardly a gay rights rally.

Still, its the first gay rights sign I can ever remember seeing in a
Bollywood film and if nothing else its proof of how (a) its now
almost obligatory to have a gay reference in every new film and (b)
the references aren't always positive, but there is a general sense
that homosexuality is part of Indian society. We could argue about
this - do you think its showing homosexuality as cool? Do you think
its showing it as sensationalist and slightly depraved?

But one way or the other gay references are getting out there and if
such a fluff film like Good Boy Bad Boy can have a visual like this
then perhaps its going to be a good thing. But the only problem is
keeping track of all the references. Just to speak about recent
releases:

- Honeymoon Travels - two excellent gay subplots
- El Chalis Ka Last Local - a gay don
- Metro - gay subplot on Page3 lines
- Raqueeb - Mayank Shekhar's review mentions one homophobic reference
where the lead actor indignantly denies being gay

And there's more in the pipeline, like a film called, I think, Kabhi
Socha Nahi Tha which has a lesbian subplot. But as I said the problem
is keeping track of it which is why I'm suggesting launching the Gay
Reference Audit for Bollywood - GRAB, for short. Which simply means
that anyone who goes and sees a new release will please note any gay
references, no matter how silly, stereotyped or trivial, and post it
on this list.

Since there must be people here who see most new releases it
shouldn't be hard. If the reference is particularly good, like in
Honeymoon Travels, we could even organise a GB Goes to See the film
(and perhaps the filmmakers might hear of that and start putting in
good references.... OK, I'm dreaming here now).

What do people think? Is it worth doing? Is it possible? And do we
have any volunteers to be GRABbers?

Vikram

--
Godspeed,