http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14588320

 Nothing wrong in playing gay: Samir Soni
 Saturday, 12 January , 2008, 08:58
Last Updated: Saturday, 12 January , 2008, 09:24

Model-turned-actor Samir Soni, who started his film career as Mamta
Kulkarni's leading man in *China Gate*, has been zeroed in on to play a gay
designer in Madhur Bhandarkar's *Fashion*.

Exclusive: The year that was on Sify Movies<http://sify.com/movies/yearender/>

And the actor, for whom it has been a troubled and long journey, is pretty
excited about the part. "I've finally got a role that has got my creative
juices running again," Samir told IANS.

Images: Worst dressed of 2007
<http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14575358>

"When I heard the role I knew I immediately wanted to do it. And so what if
he's gay? It's about time we as a country and in the entertainment business
stopped looking at homosexuality as a peculiarity. I was a model, so I know
a lot of gays. My character in *Fashion* being gay is not the issue," Samir
told IANS.

"Some directors make the mistake of making a character's homosexuality his
identity badge. Madhur is a director who handles all his characters with
finesse and sensitivity. I'm positive he'll make sure the gay community
accept my character wholeheartedly," he added.

Images: Worst dressed of 2007
<http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14575358>

It's been a long and tiring search for Bhandarkar to find one of the
principal male leads to play a gay dress designer. After Harsh Chhaya, he
has zeroed on Samir Soni.

Sharing his experience, Bhandarkar said: "It wasn't an aggressive
in-your-face kind of homosexual character. I needed someone tall, fair,
handsome, suave and outwardly a ladies' man. The hunt was killing me because
I start shooting with this character in just a few days. But now I've found
my actor.

Bollywood's most promising newcomers
<http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14563793>

"Samir Soni fits the bill completely. He's sensitive and yet not delicate,
soft-spoken but not effeminate. I needed that."

Samir says he has several very close gay friends.

"So the lack of time to prepare for the part - we start shooting next week -
doesn't bother me. I know the community from up close. I've often discussed
the question of sexual orientation with my gay friends, how it affects their
personality and their day-to-day dealings with people.

Click here for all the hottest films in
2008<http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14577373>

"What fascinates me is the closeted existence of the gay who doesn't or
can't come out in the open. The torment of keeping the secret is just so
gut-wrenching. Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing the gay as a grey, dark
character."

Samir has only one other film, Sanjay Gupta's *Alibaug*, in hand.

"Yes, I've done less work. And I'm not going to pretend it's because I chose
to do so. I also did television for the lack of choice. But let's not
undermine the reach of the home medium. The roles have been hard to come by.
Maybe I wasn't pushy enough. Maybe I wasn't good enough," Samir chuckled
self-dismissively.

The thought of sharing screen space in *Fashion* with so many seasoned
troupers doesn't intimidate this soft-spoken actor.

"I had 11 actors, many of them stalwarts like Amrish Puriji, Om Puriji and
Naseeruddin Shahji in my very first film. In Rajkumar Santoshiji's *Lajja*,
I was paired with Madhuri Dixit. Now in *Alibaug*, I'm again in an ensemble
cast.

"I'm not at all scared of sharing screen space with other actors in *Fashion
*. Whether I'm alone in a 30-second ad or with 12 other actors in a big film
like *Fashion*, I do my best. The rest I leave to destiny."

--
My blog's at: http://queerindia.blogspot.com
You can leave me a voice message from any phone at