While I watch and love films like anyone else, I don't really invest
that much in films or actors. I certainly didn't think I had much
invested in Heath Ledger. He was good looking certainly, but I don't
go much for that blonde tall type (Jake Gyllenhaal was much more my
cup of tea) and I hadn't really watched most of his films.

And yet when I saw the news of his death on the front page of MidDay
I felt just awful. It was the tragedy of someone young and talented
dying, etc etc, sure, but I think this felt particularly bad just for
one reason. Actors, I know, should never be associated just with one
role, but when that role was Ennis del Maar in Brokeback Mountain and
when it was done just so unbelievably well as Ledger did it, then you
can't help yourself.

I mean there is acting and acting well and then something beyond, and
Ledger went that something beyond. Ennis was not an easy part,
because he was so much less an overtly dramatic character than Jack
Twist. Jack was extrovert and pushy and needy and he was the one who
really would keep coming and going in the film. Ennis was the one who
endured and he was who the film was really about.

But there was so little to work on. Ennis does not show his feelings
easily, he is buttoned down, laconic, shut away. And Ledger did all
that brilliantly. Towards the end of the film he was hardly speaking,
just mumbling, looking away and just conveying everything through the
increasing tautness and despair pervading every long inch of Ennis'
body.

There are two scenes in particular. One the first parting, when he
says nothing to do Jack directly, but as soon as he is gone, stumbles
to a corner and starts retching in pure painful grief. But the one
scene for me which blew everything away, which has to be one of the
most painful scenes ever filmed was at the end with the shirts.

If you haven't seen the film I am not going to apologise for a
spoiler here because frankly you have no excuse for not seeing the
film. And if you have you will remember it. It is almost at the end,
after Jack has died, and Ennis pays a visit to Jack's parents for the
first time.

Jack's father is suspicious of him and not particularly friendly.
Jack's mother is, perhaps because she has some inkling of what Ennis
meant for him. She tells him to go to Jack's room and he does, and
looks around a bit aislessly until his eye is caught by a familiar
looking shirt in the cupboard.

Its one of his which went missing after that one summer on Brokeback
and which he thought lost. But he now realises that Jack took it and
when he picks it up, he sees something more. Jack has worked one of
his own shits into Ennis' shirt, back to back, sleeve inside sleeve,
so their shirts at least can have the togetherness that Jack and
Ennis never could.

And Ennis walks down after that with the shirts in his hand and the
expression on his face - the expression that comes despite him being
an expressionless man - is simply too much to bear. He wordlessly
indicates to Jack's mother that's he's taking the shirts, and she
nods and that's when you realise she knew. The scene is almost
wordless except for Jack's father muttering in the background but it
is utterly and totally heartbreaking. I am tearing up just
remembering it.

And that was what Ledger created and what we have to be grateful to
him for. In that performance and in that scene he showed two things
at once: that two men can really love each other and that the closet
can kill, both actually as in Jack's case and effectively as with
Ennis. Jack is killed by the closet, and by the secrective, dangerous
cruising it leads to. But Ennis is destroyed by the closet, and the
way it forces you to kill the most important part of your life.

Mid-Day's cover today referred to Ledger as having taken part in the
gay cowboy film, and I suppose you could see Brokeback that way.
Certainly the gay community owes the film, its director, writer and
actors for forcing a change in how the gay community is viewed. But
really in the end I think the film is less about being gay than about
being closeted and how it can kill you. For showing that so
incredibly, we will always have Hearth Ledger to thank. RIP.

Vikram

PS: The outpouring of emotion on many gay sites shows I'm hardly
alone in feeling this. Towleroad has some really moving mails, so
check this link:

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/01/actor-heath-led.html

And among them are a couple of mails that remembered his performance
in the reviews that came out after Brokeback and a moving mail from
today by a well respected film writer. But first this poem by
e.e.cummings, written years ago, but which says it all today:

Buffalo Bill's

defunct

who used to

ride a watersmooth-silver

stallion

and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat

Jesus

he was a handsome man

and what i want to know is

how do you like your blueeyed boy

Mister Death

"Heath Ledger is just almost really beyond description as far as I'm
concerned. He got inside the story more deeply than I did. All that
thinking about the character of Ennis that was so hard for me to get,
Ledger just was there. He did indeed move inside the skin of the
character, not just in the shirt but inside the person. It was
remarkable. – Annie Proulx

Heath Ledger's wrenching performance is the stuff of Hollywood
history." – Manohla Dargis, NY Times

Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of
his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good
as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn. – Stephen Holden, NY Times

But maybe anyone would look thin next to Ledger's Ennis Del Mar. The
actor hunches over and pulls his emotions under his canvas coat; he
doesn't age so much as slowly cave in. That's fitting: Ennis is both
ennobled and shamed by feelings he doesn't possess words to
describe. ''This thing we have" is the closest he comes, and yet it's
the only real part of his life, despite the damage left in its wake.
Ledger turns the classic iconography of the Western male -- a cowboy
hat pulled low, a measured drawl that says no more than it absolutely
has to -- into protective coloring. The genius of the performance is
in how little he shows and how much he suggests. – Ty Burr, Boston
Globe

Both actors do memorable work, but Ledger has the better role, and he
makes the strongest choices. He gives Ennis a voice and mannerisms
that are utterly idiosyncratic, and then inhabits those choices
psychologically, making sense of the locked-down speech, the haunted
look and the strong but diffident manner. He completely transforms
himself. It's a performance that was thought through in detail and
then lived in the moment, and it's one of the most beautiful things
in movies this year. – Mick LaSalle, SF Chronicle

Jack, a shade more comfortable with his nature, talks of getting a
ranch together, but Ennis will have none of it: Stung by childhood
memories of a rancher who lived with a man and got bashed for it, he
fears — he knows — that exposure could kill them. In the classic
Westerns, the cowboys were often men of few words, but Heath Ledger
speaks in tones so low and gruff and raspy his words just about
scrape ground, and he doesn't string a whole lot of those words
together. Ennis' inexpressiveness is truly ...inexpressive, yet
ironically eloquent for that very reason, as tiny glimmers of soul
escape his rigid facade. Ennis says nothing he doesn't mean; he's
incapable of guile, yet he erupts in tantrums — the anger of a man
who can't be what he is and doesn't realize the quandary is eating
him alive. Ledger, with beady eyes and pursed lips, gives a
performance of extraordinary, gnarled tenderness. Revolutionary. A
film in which love feels almost as if it were being invented. - Owen
Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

More than any of the others, Ledger brings this film alive by going
so deeply into his character you wonder if he'll be able to come
back. Aside from his small but strong part in "Monster's Ball,"
nothing in the Australian-born Ledger's previous credits prepares us
for the power and authenticity of his work here as a laconic,
interior man of the West, a performance so persuasive that "Brokeback
Mountain" could not have succeeded without it. Ennis' pain, his rage,
his sense of longing and loss are real for the actor, and that makes
them unforgettable for everyone else. – Kenneth Turan, LA Times

Ledger's magnificent performance is an acting miracle. He seems to
tear it from his insides. Ledger doesn't just know how Ennis moves,
speaks and listens; he knows how he breathes. To see him inhale the
scent of a shirt hanging in Jack's closet is to take measure of the
pain of love lost. As Jack told him once, "That ol' Brokeback got us
good." It hits you like a shot in the heart. – Peter Travers, Rolling
Stone

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor
understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis
had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace
satisfying some shared and sexless hunger. They had stood that way
for a long time in front of the fire, its burning tossing ruddy
chunks of light, the shadow of their bodies a single column against
the rock. The minutes ticked by from the round watch in Ennis's
pocket, from the sticks in the fire settling into coals. Stars bit
through the wavy heat layers above the fire. Ennis's breath came slow
and quiet, he hummed, rocked a little in the sparklight and Jack
leaned against the steady heartbeat, the vibrations of the humming
like faint electricity and, standing, he fell into sleep that was not
sleep but something else drowsy and tranced until Ennis, dredging up
a rusty but still useable phrase from the childhood time before his
mother died, said, "Time to hit the hay, cowboy. I got a go. Come on,
you're sleepin on your feet like a horse," and gave Jack a shake, a
push, and went off in the darkness. – Brokeback Mountain, Annie Proulx

Commentary by "SF Chronicle" film critic Mick LaSalle:

In a little while, perhaps before you read this, the rest of the
details will become known. Was it an accident? Was it suicide? Was
there an unknown history of drug abuse? The answers to these
questions will become part of the legend, and Heath Ledger will be
enlisted into that ghoulish gallery of movie stars who, for one
reason or another, died a good half-century ahead of schedule.
But before that happens - before the false hand-wringing begins on
the nightly entertainment shows - before the interviews with ex-
girlfriends reveal unknown truths that are probably false - and
before the grave diggers show up with their microphones and cameras
and their heads that can't furrow in fake grief because of all the
botox injections - it might be worthwhile to take a moment to
remember why exactly this particular 28-year-old rates an obituary in
every major newspaper on the planet today.

Like few who ever lived, much less lived to be 28, Heath Ledger left
behind moments and images that were guaranteed even Tuesday - even a
week ago, when he was presumably healthy and had the world before
him - to outlive his mortal life. When I got the news, I immediately
flashed on one of them.
In "Brokeback Mountain," having said goodbye to Jake Gyllenhaal after
their summer together - which is the only thing they'll ever have in
their lives, and they seem to know it - he walks stoically away, then
enters the frame as he passes an alley. In the background is the sky.
Limitless. He stops, enters the alley and becomes a silhouette. He
puts his head against the wall and sobs, struggling to hide his face
with his hat. He curses. He punches the wall. He yells angrily at
someone who passes by and stops to look. And two seconds later we see
him in close-up, looking boyish and yet somehow like the world has
just closed up, standing at the altar getting married. ...

Unlike most of his contemporaries, Ledger had an old-fashioned
manliness - the kind that seems to have fled America and gone south
in recent years, as far south as Australia. (He was born there, in
Perth, in 1979.) But unlike most of the old-fashioned manly stars of
America's macho period, Ledger was at his best playing men in
turmoil, men in trouble, men suffering from deep wounds to the
spirit. At 28, he had 25 prime casting years ahead of him. Just to be
selfish for a minute, think of how that talent may have grown.

The Hollywood of today doesn't nurture acting talent. That is, it
doesn't look for roles that explore the actors' soul. But even
accepting that, just by chance and the law of averages, just with a
little dumb luck, Ledger should have had two or three or five or six
more films in his life that challenged him the way "Brokeback
Mountain" challenged him. I think that would have been Ledger's
career, from here on out: A combination of OK movies in which he
played men who were as magnificent as he looked. And better movies,
in which he played men whose imposing physical presence and locked-
down stoicism were a façade for an emotional life of desperation and
helplessness.

Instead of looking forward, we're forced to look back - to the
fragile young man he played in "Monster's Ball," who shoots himself
in a fit of anguish. Or to "Casanova" and those scenes when the great
seducer discovers his capacity to love one woman. Or to movies
like "Ned Kelly," those ones with nothing much to recommend them
besides what I once called Ledger's "big-slab-of-a-guy magnetism."

There's no way to make sense of this. No way to end an appreciation
like this on an uplift when the news is so sad. If there's something
positive to be said, it's that the best work Ledger left behind will
last forever...."