http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/And-they-live-their-life-with-gay-abandon/288053/

* Anuradha MascarenhasPosted online: Tuesday , March 25, 2008 at 01:29:08
Updated: Tuesday , March 25, 2008 at 01:51:47*
**
*Pune, March 24* From setting up a dedicated helpline dealing with stigma
related queries on issues of homosexuality to now devising a "gay model" to
boost their self-esteem, city-based Bindhu Madhav Khire and Zameer Kamble
are doing their bit to change the perceptions among society about "their
tribe."

"I am gay,'' a statement that is made loud and clear as Khire has now
launched his book in Marathi "Indradhanu Samalingatatliche Rang" (Rainbow
-different colours of homosexuality) and as president of the Sampathik Trust
has a dedicated helpline that has been answering queries and various doubts
related to homosexuality for the last four years.

For German teacher Zameer Kamble, "being gay" has never been such a big
issue and now has devised a model that aims at helping others come to terms
with their sexuality. This model has been devised in association with
Pathfinder, an NGO, to create awareness about issues related to
homosexuality in the interiors of Maharashtra.

Khire and Kamble were both narrating their experiences at the concluding day
of the State-level media consultation on HIV/AIDS organised by the Centre
for Advocacy and Research. For Khire, it does not matter that the trust has
only 11 members. ``It is a good beginning and our helpline at 9890744677 -
that is functional only on Monday evening received four to five calls where
questions are asked about stigma that gays have to live with. We are also
asked medical questions whether it is safe to have oral and anal sex,''says
Khire.

For Kamble who works as a German lecturer with University of Pune, his
mother's acceptance of his sexuality was the first step that led him to have
faith in himself. ``My mother was very positive about my homosexuality and I
soon developed a model that focuses on the acceptance of the self to deal
with the world,'' says Kamble who uses metaphors in this journey of
self-introspection and self-realisation.

--
My blog's at: http://queerindia.blogspot.com
You can leave me a voice message from any phone at