<http://203.199.70.212/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.timesofindia.com/Innovation/index.html/982865594/Position1/default/empty.gif/63613538623030643438363838303830>
 Gay
pride out on Capital's streets
30 Jun 2008, 0400 hrs IST,TNN
     <javascript:openslideshow('/slideshow/3178508.cms')>
<javascript:openslideshow('/slideshow/3178508.cms')>
*(Photo: Anindya Chattopadhyay)*
 NEW DELHI: With the gay community taking small steps out of the closet, the
city took a giant leap of pride on Sunday.

As a group of some 600-700 homosexual men,
lesbians<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Delhi/Gay_pride_out_on_Capitals_streets/articleshow/3178504.cms#>and
transgender people marched the streets of central Delhi, cheering
diversity and shouting slogans against section 377 of the IPC, a decent
number of city people turned out to walk with and celebrate the community
which has long been at the receiving end of the law as well as social scorn
in this country.

There was no active hostility in the heart of the Capital as a rainbow group
of
gay<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Delhi/Gay_pride_out_on_Capitals_streets/articleshow/3178504.cms#>activists,
NGO workers, expat professionals, foreign tourists, eunuchs and
ordinary people joined a 2.5 km march from the Barakhamba Road to Jantar
Mantar. Demanding equal treatment and basic rights, India's first national gay
pride<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Delhi/Gay_pride_out_on_Capitals_streets/articleshow/3178504.cms#>parade
ended with a tribute to the victims of section 377, a colonial-era
provision in Indian law that prohibits "carnal intercourse against the order
of nature".

"We exist. We must be accepted as we are. This march is a huge step by the
community to show that we are confident of ourselves and we must be
respected," said Lesley Esteves, 32, a gay rights activist. "It is time for
authorities to stop treating gay people like criminals," she said, before
leading a band of people, shouting slogans against section 377.

It was not the first time that the gay
community<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Delhi/Gay_pride_out_on_Capitals_streets/articleshow/3178504.cms#>has
gathered in the city to protest against social discrimination, but it
was the first time that they came out in the form of a pride parade.

"This is a huge change. It shows that we have grown as a community. It also
shows that the attitude towards the gays have changed," said Gautam Bhan,
one of the key organisers of the march. "Today, I am proud to be a resident
of Delhi. We never expected this kind of support. It shows that Delhi wants
to be a city that is free, open and tolerant."

Though a few faces were hidden behind colourful masks, a large number of
gays walked the street, holding hands, hugging their
friends<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Delhi/Gay_pride_out_on_Capitals_streets/articleshow/3178504.cms#>and
partners and talking about the problems faced by the community. "I
came
here to just watch the parade and realised that the gay people were just
like us. This parade has really shattered the stereotypical image that we
impose on them," said Anand, a techie from Gurgaon.

In fact, it was this image that the organisers tried to change with their
march. And if the mood at the end of the one-and-a-half hour long walk was
any indication, their effort of engaging society was a huge success. "I
could not imagine this kind of response 10 years ago. This march is a
message to the political class of the country to give legitimacy to the
community," said well-known gay rights activist Ashok Row Kavi.
=======================

>From Washington Post
  By Emily Wax and Ria
Sen<http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/emily+wax+and+ria+sen/>
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, June 30, 2008; Page A08
 Hundreds March in India for Gay Rights

NEW DELHI, June 29 -- Waving rainbow flags and chanting "Gay
India<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/countries/india.html?nav=el>does
exist," nearly 1,000 gay activists and their supporters marched in
coordinated parades in three Indian cities Sunday, demonstrating their
growing confidence and hope for change on a subcontinent where homosexuality
is illegal.

Activists in New Delhi, Bangalore and Kolkata called the parades the largest
display of gay pride in
India's<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/countries/india.html?nav=el>modern
history. They said the public rallies would have been impossible just
a decade ago in this largely conservative nation, where marriage is seen as
an important societal duty.

"Today a celebratory march occurred," said Pramada Menon, 42, a human rights
activist who deals with sexuality issues. "I am excited that globalization
has made sexual orientation a celebration. Today, we are ready to walk
without masks."

The Indian Penal Code contains a colonial-era provision known as Section
377, which prohibits sexual activity that is "against the order of nature."
The statute carries punishment of up to 10 years in prison.

The law has been repealed in other former British colonies. Human rights
groups, in a challenge at the Delhi High Court, are asking the judges to
declare that India's law does not apply to consenting adults. The court is
set to hear arguments this week.

"In India, gays and lesbians still live highly closeted lives," said Vikram
Doctor, 40, a member of the Queer Media Collective. "There is still
violence. There are still many desperate suicides by gay couples. There is
still harassment. And there is still intense pressure to marry those they do
not want to be with. But today we have a voice. This march has taken on a
momentum of its own."

Section 377 has been widely used to blackmail gays in highly organized
rackets, according to Doctor and other activists. Marriage in India is
highly valued and is sometimes a lucrative business arrangement between
families.

"I wish to tell people, the judiciary and the government that gays do
exist," said Alok Gupta, 28, a lawyer who focuses on gay rights.

In India's capital, New Delhi, the parade was more a celebration than a
protest. Festive drumming filled the hazy air as marchers unfurled banners
that read "Queer Dilliwalla," or resident of Delhi, and "377 Quit India."

The parades were peaceful, amid a heavy police presence. Attendees included
families pushing strollers, foreigners and transvestites clad in bright
saris and rainbow boas.

Wearing a T-shirt that said "Stonewalled," with an image of a famous ancient
Indian sculpture of two women embracing, Giti Thadani, 47, a member of
Sakhi, an organization for lesbians, said she remembered when the first
openly gay organization formed in the mid-1980s. It had just four members.

"Then it was very difficult," she said. "Today, young Indians are
economically independent -- they have access to information and they have
their own sexual preferences. They don't always want to be married off at a
young age. This parade is a sign of modernity."

Lesley Esteves, 32, one of the main organizers of the event, said the day
was "a tangible sign of progress," but added: "The road is still long. The
battle is far from over."

India's conservative Hindu nationalist party, the Bharatiya Janata
Party<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Bharatiya+Janata+Party?tid=informline>,
has openly disagreed with the movement, calling it "un-Indian and against
families." But leaders said they did not wish to protest the parades, so as
not to give more attention to the issue.

--
www.gaybombay.in
www.gaybombay.info