http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Ahmedabad/Sans_females_men_go_gay_in_Mehsana/articleshow/3234150.cms

 AHMEDABAD: The 2001 census ranked Mehsana as the district with the worst
skewed sex ratio of just 801 women per 1000 men. The after effects are being
seen now, with the north Gujarat town witnessing a marked increase in gay
activity.

 All thanks to the dearth of eligible
brides<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Ahmedabad/Sans_females_men_go_gay_in_Mehsana/articleshow/3234150.cms#>because
of rampant foeticide over the years. Trends show that many affluent
Mehsana men in their 30s are now wining and dining gays from Ahmedabad.
 Suresh (name changed), a prominent figure in the
gay<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Ahmedabad/Sans_females_men_go_gay_in_Mehsana/articleshow/3234150.cms#>circuit
of Ahmedabad, is now being sought out frequently by unmarried men
from Mehsana.

 "I get at least eight to 10 calls each month from Mehsana who pick me up
from Ahmedabad. We check into guest houses on the Ahmedabad-Mehsana
highway," says Suresh, who works in a cloth merchant's office in Kalupur.
 "Most of them prefer men over women as taking female sex workers to guest
houses is risky," adds Suresh, who says there are at least half a dozen men
like him in Ahmedabad who regularly entertain clients from Mehsana.

 Increasing homosexuality is seen as the reason why Mehsana ranks after the
migrant hub of Surat in terms of HIV prevalence. Mehsana's men have been
known to buy brides from tribal areas, as there is an acute shortage of
girls in most communities.

 "While homosexuality is increasing everywhere, in the case of Mehsana the
skewed sex ratio could be fuelling this trend further," says sociologist
Gaurang Jani.

 Ahmedabad-based doctors, too, admit to getting male patients from Mehsana
suffering from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). "I must have treated
around 200 men from Mehsana for various STDs and even AIDS in the last one
year. Nearly half of them admitted to having relations with other men," says
doctor Amrish Tripathi, who is working with HIV/AIDS patients.

--
My blog's at: http://queerindia.blogspot.com
You can leave me a voice message from any phone at