From: amit <xtremesuc...@gmail.com>
To: gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 9 February, 2009 4:23:21 PM
Subject: g_b Finally I did it (My experience at kelwa beach picnic - 8th Feb
2009)

I have been a member of GB mailing list since last 3+ years. I have
always read about the events organized by GB, but never really had the
guts to attend any of them. Somehow at the very last moment I always
panicked and dropped the idea. However I finally mustered the
courage to attend the picnic and realized what a fool I have been all
this time. I had the best time of my life in this picnic, even more
than most of the outings that I attended with my straight friends.
As it is said that "the first impression is the last impression".
Right now I am left with the impression that will compel me to attend
all forth coming GB events without FAILURE.

Let me first tell something about myself, I am working in IT field for
a well known MNC at a very good position. I am a closeted gay since
ever, except for few of my very close friends. Just like all the
people who don't attend GB events, I was always under assumption that
these events will be attended by loud mouthed effeminate men who
create tantrum and draw unwanted attention. The question that always
bugged me was - What if I get seen hanging around with such kind of
people by men who I work with or even worst relatives? What will they
think? Will they spread the word behind my back that I am gay? How
will it affect my career in our homophobic society based country? What
if someone in the party tries to get funny with me?

All my questions were answered in this trip in a positive manner.
First of all, people attending the meet are in no way effeminate or
cheap acting. I was relieved to find most of them to be professionally
well settled and best in their fields. Since hanky panky is officially
disallowed in these events, the level of comfort is guaranteed. The
picnic was not about getting hooked up, but more about getting to know
each other and make new friends. Despite me and some other guy's being
first time attendees, we were able to gel with the rest of the crowd
pretty easily, which I find kind of difficult
when I am going to events containing straight people. Strange isn't
it? I can remember 90% of the people by their first names. To describe
this event in a short sentence, all I can say is a bunch of well
mannered men having a good time together. Even if I would have been
spotted by people I know, what the hell I am not going anything wrong.

Last but not least, before I end my article I would like to thank the
organizers who made this event happen. It takes a lot to do something
that touches people lives that makes their day.

Amit A.
[For the convenience of other people who won't remember me because of
many other guys having the same name as me, I am the guy with large
tattoos on my arms]

http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/