Today's Mumbai newspapers carry a report on an interesting case about a
harassed housewife who has dragged her gay husband and his lover to the court
and how the duo have sought anticipatory bail. What is really interesting is
that the case among other acts, article 377 had been applied in this case.
I am not sure whether article 377 has been applied elsewhere in such cases
across India. But this is indeed a unique case.
I have so many questions regarding this case
1) Article 377 can be applied when there is proof of insertion and intercourse…
correct me if am wrong… is there is any such proof in this case?
2) Can article 377 be used to seek alimony/divorce?
3) Can an aggrieved wife seek arrest of the spouse's lover when the lover is a
gay?
4) How does this play out in case of lesbians?
Ethical questions also remain.
A) Though this has been debated ad nauseam, I wonder whether the husband and
his lover have any ethics?
b) Is the lover as culpable in this case? I mean he is in merchant navy and
visits Mumbai and meets his lover when in town…
c) There is an on going discussion in gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com where one
riled bi-sexual guy says that if sleeping around despite being in a marriage is
wrong… then so be it…. is this attitude the lowest common denominator excuse
that one can apply and shrug of one's shoulder and move on?
d) Are those who remain unmarried and don't give into the much spoken about
pressure from family and society idiots? Or they are the ones who should be
applauded for sticking it out and braving the world?
What do you guys think?
Ketan
Moderator

Email: