Hello All,

Please feel free to forward/re-post on other groups.

Cheers,
Nitin

'Offfbeat' is the story of Mahesh who ‘comes out' to his grandmother. A grandmother who is reluctant to accept him. So, Mahesh convinces her to join him and his group, consisting of homosexual men, transsexuals, transgenders and hijras, to try to understand their issues. The play is the journey of Mahesh and his grandmother exploring sexuality.

Despite the serious subject, the play is a comedy. It uses satire to poke fun at patriarchy and society's narrow vision of gender and sexuality.

Zameer Kamble, Pune-based writer-director of the play, says, "For gay people, sexual orientation is a vital aspect of their identity. I wrote this play in order to bring about a level of acceptance and respect for members of the gay community. I hope ‘Offbeat' at least makes people sit up and think. Putting it together was in itself a struggle, as I had to find some good, brave actors and get the censor certificate, which alone took over a year.

"Many gay people either become a laughing stock or face brutal reactions and lack of understanding, both at home and in society,” says Kamble. “This lowers their self esteem, makes them vulnerable to infections like HIV, and, in the extreme, forces them to commit suicide.”

'Offbeat' is also the first Marathi play to speak directly about the problems of homosexuals in India, from the social and legal perspective.

Cast: Sagar Lodhi, Satish Sandbhor, Pravin and Sachin.